Pool/deck bonding issue...

We recently put a small deck on our pool. Every so often we get a static shock if we are on the deck and touch the water. I have google searched and plastic/composite decking does not have to be bonded. We have followed the regulations and the pool is properly bonded. Should I dig down and connect the deck to the wire? BTW, the deck is floating and does not touch the pool (can be seen in the build thread in my sig). Thanks for looking!

The composite is not electrically conducting, so not possible to bond. In fact, it is probably the combination of the composite material, prone to generate static electricity, and the fact that the water is bonded (is it?), causing electric discharge when touched, that is the problem. A wooden deck or unbonded water would not have the issue. Not much you can do about it I think, other than minimizing static buildup by walking barefoot.

Do you have any electrical devices on your deck that could be the source of the problem?

If theres no electricity touching your deck then you can try running a bare copper wire across the underside of the decking boards close to were you get in and out of the pool. Connect the wire to your bonding loop. You don't need to bond your deck per code but doing so wont hurt anything either. Do you have any electrical devices on your deck that could be the source of the problem?

There is no electricity near the deck nor will there be. I think I will connect a wire to the deck bolts near the pool, run it up along the underside of the composite (with connections), then down to the bolts on the other side, then connect to the bonding wire running around the pool.

I have the same issue with a new trex deck.
It only happens if I have boots with rubber soles . My pool is bonded along with the water . Just wish if someone with electrical experience can clarify nothing is wrong if u can discourage static into a pool.

Grounding can do nothing for you. Plastic is a non-conductor and electrical charges cannot move through it.
The static charges you are getting are generated by friction, at the point of contact between your shoe and the deck.

Licensed Electrician

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.