figuring out replacement VS pump requirements

Sep 23, 2015
Austin
I would like to replace my single speed for a VS pump.

After reading a few posts it seems that my current 2HP one may be oversized for the pool. Or is it? I also have a spa and the filter system for that is run from the same pump. My head is starting to spin after reading about needing to figure out head etc.

Help would be much appreciated.

This is what I currently have

With a spa, you typically need to keep with the same size pump, otherwise the jets will not work as well with a smaller pump.

So, either switch out the motor for a 2-speed 2HP version ... using high for the spa (which would be equivalent to your single speed) and low for general filtering.
Or look at one of the larger VS pumps (Intelliflo, EcoStar, etc) that will allow you to dial in any speed you like.
The smaller VS pumps (Superflo, etc) are likely too small to give the equivalent flow of your existing pump.

I do not know about that brand ... HP is only 1 part of the story. For example the 2 HP SuperFlo and the 2 HP Whisperflo are very different in the amount of water they move.
You can get a feel by comparing the head curves (like that table in your link) with your existing pump.

If you give the INYO guys a call, they are very good at helping and might be able to provide you with information as to whether the head curves are comparable.

Sure you can replace just the motor which is what I mentioned in the first response.
Either a 2-speed or a VS. just have to be sure the motor is rated at least as high HP as your impeller.

You also have to make sure you get the same frame size.

Did I misunderstand?
I thought from your post that I could switch out for a 2 speed motor or I would need a complete pump for VS.

"So, either switch out the motor for a 2-speed 2HP version ... using high for the spa (which would be equivalent to your single speed) and low for general filtering.
Or look at one of the larger VS pumps (Intelliflo, EcoStar, etc) that will allow you to dial in any speed you like.
The smaller VS pumps (Superflo, etc) are likely too small to give the equivalent flow of your existing pump."

so, can I just buy a VS motor? Just make sure it is 2HP and flowrates are similar?

You were right about the inyopool people being knowledgeable and helpful.
They have recommended their pureline one
PureLine Prime 2.7 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump - PL2606 - INYOPools.com

which is a 2.7 HP

Just a question, am I being daft here but can I just replace the motor? Not the whole pump assembly?
Yes and no.

Yes, you can replace just the motor on a pump. I'd call back and ask about this: your motor says frame y56Y The parts diagram for the pump you linked shows the 2.7 HP motor as a 48Y. This page has this tidbit of information
The only difference between the 56Y and 48Y is the circumfrence (width) of the motor. They will both mount to the seal plate but the 48Y will need an optional spacer (that comes with the motor) to sit on to make up for the difference in size.
but it would be worthwhile to make sure the adaptor piece is still included and that the opposite scenario still holds true.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is the pac-fab challenger pump. So the 56y frame motor is what you want. They are owned by Pentair Pool Products now, they made two different pumps one is a high head pump and the other is a high flow. What all are you running on your pool ie. spa jets, waterfall or any other features. The pump at Inyo Pools is a Hayward super pump and is considered a medium head pump, so it is important to know all that this pump does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.