Liner replaced starting fresh - process?

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Surface
Vinyl
Hi All. We replaced our liner at the end of the season so the pool was drained and new water was put in over the winter. I'm just wondering the process to begin testing the chemicals etc. Today I plan to put in about 10 bags of salt since we will have the SWG running. I was thinking of also putting some chlorine tabs in to get cya up as it has always been on the low side. Any input or direction is appreciated!

Start by getting the water circulating, then test.

How does the water look, by the way? If the pool is greenish, you'll need to kill the algae and that will clog up your filter so you'll need to backwash a bunch, which will just flush any salt you just added down the drain.

We advise balancing the water using bleach for FC, then adding salt, and lastly turning on the SWG.

Tell us what the water looks like and post some test results taken after the water has had a chance to circulate.

Make sure the water has been circulating for 30 minutes then test for pH, TA, CH. You should have zero FC/CC and zero CYA with new water. Get your pH to 7.4 if it's high. Unless your TA is less than 100, then you can leave the pH at up to 7.8. Only lower if it goes above 7.8 in that case. Then get some FC in the water immediately, roughly 2-4 ppm. Then add your CYA. I would suggest using pure CYA to get it up there rather than tablets, unless you have a glut of tablets to use. Save the tablets for when you're going to be gone for several days. If you do choose to use tablets, ONLY use them in a floater, not in the skimmer. Keep track of how many you use to know how much CYA you have added.

Your SWG may not function very well if water is below 70 degrees and you may have to run at higher output. Keep in mind that your salt level displayed on the controller is also affected by temperature. At low temps, the reading will likely be lower than actual.

So I have run the pool for a few days and it's relatively clear. We have a new liner and stadium steps put in so there are some rocks in it and some leaves that I need to wait for our pool guy to come and power vac it out. The purifier on the SWG was at 1% so I put it to 51%. Zero chlorine and PH is at 7.5%. Salt is at an adequate level after adding a bunch of bags. My question is this. The weather is supposed to be atrocious on Saturday and looking at over an inch of rain. Any chemicals I should add now? I have two containers of chlorine pucks so not sure if I should put them in now. I have some stabilizer also, just trying to figure out the best process. Thanks!

If you haven't added any CYA yet, do so now. That's part of balancing.

You also need to get some FC in there right now, don't wait for the SWG. It may never catch up without the CYA. Use bleach. With no CYA, target 3 FC on poolmath. After some of that CYA dissolves, you'll need to raise it some, nut maybe the SWG will be working by then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.