1 year in- how far can I go with DIY?

May 8, 2017
Rocklin/CA
Our pool is late 80s, 14000 gal. with a spillover spa. Heater has not worked since we moved it. I was told it was disabled by rodent damage?!?! by my home warranty inspector. Pump is old single speed. I would like to upgrade as much as possible by myself.

As for DIY, you are really only limited by what is legal (i.e. if your area requires certified electricians) and by what your comfort level is on doing things like electrical, plumbing.... I for example, like many others here, have replaced my pump and salt water chlorine generator (SWG) myself, and added a surge protector to my pool's sub panel. But many would not feel comfortable with some of these things. I personally would not work with adding a natural gas heater to my pool because that is beyond my comfort level. There is lots of information on the site as well as on y*tube to help demonstrate some of these things - like replacing a pump.

As for taking care of the pool/spa once things are up and running is definitely DIY depending upon if you are available to monitor and adjust the pool chemistry as needed.