Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool was uncovered yesterday and when they went to turn on the filter system the motor on the pump is dead. When you turn it on it just sort of makes a click/buzz and it may trip the breaker. The existing motor is a Sta-Rite MPRA6E-147L - 1HP. It, and the rest of my pool, are 10 years old.

What should I have in mind as I will be buying a replacement for the motor? Should I replace the entire pump or just the motor? What should I keep in mind when getting a replacement - I want to have the motor/pump as quiet as possible as my system runs during the day as I use a solar heating system to help heat the pool.

Did the existing motor suit your needs regarding sound level? Are you handy and plan to do things yourself?

If the answer is yes, I would recommend checking the start capacitor first. They are generally not expensive and many times are the problem with symptoms you describe. How To Replace a Pool Pump Capacitor - INYOPools.com

If that is not it I would just pull the motor off the pump and taking it to a repair shop. They can have you up and running in a few days with your existing motor.

In the meantime, stop by Canadian Tire and pick up liquid chlorine. You want to keep the FC levels up in the pool while the pump is out of commission. Pour the chlorine in small amounts around the pool (you don't want chlorine which is heavier than water to "puddle" on the bottom and bleach your liner) and figure a way to stir the water around good. I had the same problem last year and while my pump was gone I poured the chlorine in and ran my robot for six or so hours to mix the water well.

The motor/pump was always too noisy for me so maybe this is a good excuse to get it replaced. But I may check the capacitor first. If I want to replace it where can you purchase these types of capacitors? Would a pool shop or Canadian Tire have them or would I need to go to an electrical supply shop?

The pool service company that opened it did a big shocking so it should be good for a few days especially since the temperature will be in single digits (celsius) for the next week or so. I think I have more of a risk of freezing than of an algae bloom as the water is likely in the 40s or 50s temperature wise and. But I will test the Cl levels daily to make sure.

A couple of years ago I added an evac tube solar heating system. So my water now has to go up about two stories to the roof of my house. If I replace the pump should I be getting a stronger pump since it has to work a bit harder now? My pool is about 100,000 L - 18'x36' with an 8' deep end and 3' shallow end.

I got the pump working - I think it may have just been a bit jammed up due to corrosion over the winter. So that was easy. I do have another issue - water is flowing out of the drain plug that is beside the inlet and outlet connections. Hopefully this is just a minor issue and not something like a crack in the heat exchanger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.