Polaris P965IQ

May 5, 2017
North Jersey
Hi all, i've been browsing the site the last couple days and am still completely confused on what i need.

I am closing on a house at the end of May, there is a 40x20 pool in the back with a built in (raised) spa in the corner of the shallow. Current owner has a 2 year old polaris F9550. He wanted to sell it used for 850, but i prefer to get a new unit. I am looking around, and both current owner and my real estate agent love the polaris. I am also seeing great reviews on the dolphin s300i (Doheny's discovery?) and M400/500.
I just came across the Polaris 965IQ (Polaris P965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner | #1 Swimming Pool Cleaner Worldwide | Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaners) which seems similar to the 9550 but has wife (what for), and a swivel cord (I think that's useful).

Current owner leaves the polaris in pool all the time and sets it on weekly schedule. He swears it does a great job, so i am guessing i don't really need to worry about tangling cords.

What exactly does 4WD get me?

Sorry for starting a new thread if that is frowned upon - i didn't want to threadjack! If there are other threads I should check out or reviews posted online please point me there.
Thanks!

Hi, welcome to TFP! We actually encourage our members to start a new thread instead of tacking on to an old one, so no worries there! I believe the wifi is to connect the Polaris to any automation system you may have so it can be controlled remotely.

I will step back so those with more experience with robotic systems may advise you further.

Thanks for not hijacking another thread. The cleaner probably has Bluetooth to connect to an app on your phone. Some have that so you can steer the robot around or stop/start it. 4wd gets you better traction and navigation so it won't get stuck on bottom drain covers or steps.

I love my Doheny's Discovery robot. It has a weekly timer that can be set for daily, 2x or 3x per week. After a week it shuts off. Mine stays in the pool all the time except during summer when we're swimming a lot, like all weekend. Robots are confusing because they make robots and then give them different names and different colors but they are the same robot.

The Doheny's Discovery is the same as a Maytronics S200, Dolphin Active 20, Triton, and something else I can't remember at the moment. They are all based on the Solartouch series cleaner. S100 has 1 brush, S200 has 2 brushes, S300 also has 2 brushes and adds more control and phone app and S300i adds a caddy and not much else. The S200, 300 and 300i are all the same robot.

There is more about my robot in my pool thread, link in sig. And there is a multi-hijacked, community thread about the Discovery and clones here, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

Oh, and I don't know anything about the Polaris robot. :)

You can get the Dolphin on the phone though. There are various threads on the subject. I just purchased the Dolphin Active 30i, which is the same as the S300i from Marina Pool.
Give her a call and you will save lots of $$$, compared to the price from a local pool store.

I picked up a F9650iQ about two weeks ago after having a F9450 and I love it. I have it connected to my iAquaLink iphone app and now it is so much easier to have the pool cleaned and ready to go minutes. The "4WD" will walk up walls and lightly scrub the walls. The only problem I found with it that it will not automatically climb out of the pool and into the hot tub/spa and clean that in the same program. Evidently there is a sensor that senses the unit is out of the water and turns off. There is also a swivel/float that helps in keeping the power line untangled and wear and tear.

Hello noturbizniss,

Which unit did you end up buying? I am currently looking at the same options you did.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello stuckpipe,

After having the Polaris F9650iQ for a year, would you post your thoughts on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you like your 9650iQ? I am seriously considering replacing my Dolphin Oasis Z5. Gets stuck on my drains constantly. Would prefer something with a schedule, WiFi would be a plus. Looking to buy online. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.