Well, the worst just happened...

Jun 23, 2016
Monterrey, Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Couldn't find a specific forum for this. Mods feel free to move.

Big hail storm yesterday. 3 hours of downpour and my garden couldn't take it, it got flooded and grad, dirt and tons of leaves went into the pool.

It is dark grey.

I had to use flocculant to settle it down.
Lets see how it goes tomorrow.

Vaccuming will be a monumental job because of the leaves. My vacuum line has a valve check and it got obstructed in two secs

any advice ?View attachment 60386IMG_4614.jpg

No one ever HAS TO use flocculent. Hopefully it works out for you and doesn't make a bigger mess that you have to deal with inside of your filter.

You should use a leaf rake to manually remove as many of the leaves as possible before you vacuum.

If you believe the leaves have settled to the bottom, might be worth dragging a leaf rake across the floor of the pool to get as many as you can. 10 minutes of that could save a lot of vacuum obstruction clearing. For floor raking I like the cheapo kind like this one, with a thin lip that you can drag or push across the bottom.

standard-leaf-rake.jpg

De a madre!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I'll buy a leaf rake tomorrow morning and vacuum afterwards

i know i don't HAVE TO use flocculant but thought it could speed up the process. I'll be vacuuming to waste to avoid filter damage.
Electricity is not cheap in Mexico and although I have solar panels I decided to vacuum a couple of times to have a clear pool this weekend instead of 5 days of filtering.

I also shocked the pool to avoid algae or bacteria from the flood. Better to prevent.

In addition to leaf rake, you may want to get one of these cheap yet effective devices.

Poolmaster 28300 Big Sucker Pool Leaf Vacuum and Bag with High Pressure Water Jets and Multi Directional Wheels - Classic Collection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007PZN9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tpgdzbSAG3D9K

They use the garden hose to create suction to shoot the leaves in a bag. I find this device is easier for a large load of leaves, then use my leaf rake when I get a few leaves at the bottom.

I did mean the SHOCK part of the SLAM process as the first step and to avoid bacteria or algae growth from this bad situation.
obviously I'll be following all due to the conditions of the pool.

spinPHD, thanks for the leave sucker advice, I'd be looking into that

I went through the same thing a few years ago. It took about 1 week to get it looking good again. No big deal except for backwashing the sand filter about every 1/2 hour for the first day. I had a thick layer of silt settle on the bottom. After taking care of what was on the surface I let my suction side cleaner drive around and take care of the fine mud that settled.

I know we try to be purists, but sometimes a vegan needs a big burger

flocculant worked as expected

vacuum to waste. Minimal loss of water
pool at 85%

thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_4629.jpg
    IMG_4629.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4628.jpg
    IMG_4628.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 134

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.