Foam insulation board

Jun 25, 2016
Farmingdale, nj
Hey everyone..so we are putting our Intex pool back up this season the proper way, level and with no creases, and I would like to do foam board underneath. I searched forms up and down for the last week and can't decide between half inch or 1 inch board. I did some research and realize the pink board in both sizes has the same compression rating of 15 psi. It's only when you get up to the 2 inch board that the compression rating increases the 25 psi. The pool were putting up is an 22 by 52 Intex ultra frame and i just want to make sure the half inch board will be okay before purchasing. I went on Home Depot's site and can't find 3/4 inch board.

Any input would be helpful.

Basically the denser the foam the more it will withstand compaction. The white kind that has the silver foil on one or both sides is a very loosely packed foam panel and can be easily compressed down to next to nothing in thickness. The pink and blue foam sheets are heavier or what they call an extruded foam. The process of making it creates a much denser foam which isn't as prone to compressing and forming divots from feet and knees as you walk and kneel on it to install it. I would suggest staying away from the non extruded foam panels such as the ones that look to be composed of white foam pellets and opt for the more rigid blue or pink panels.

Thickness really is just a personal choice. 1/2, 3/4, or even 1 inch is fine. I went with the 3/4 inch tongue and groove blue foam panels because that was what was available at our local lowes in the extruded form. Then held them all together with about 4 layers of gorilla tape over each and every seam.

In the very least I'd say nothing less than 1/2 inch otherwise you might as well just be putting down a gorilla pad or some other form of liner protection padding.

I went a little cheaper and used the white unfaced foam. BUT I started with 1.5 inch thickness to match my pavers. It has compressed about 1/8 of an inch. It is not enough that you can detect the foam-paver junction. The only way you know when you are standing on a paver, is that the paver has no "give" to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.