Torque Specs for Perma-Cast Handrailing Anchors?

Dec 13, 2015
Surprise, AZ
Hello! Performing some all-around pool maintenance and trying to solve a long-standing issue/concern I have regarding the twisting and movement of the handrail over the stairs. In the cement deck, the anchors are made by Perma-cast (see link below), are brass, and they have one bolt that tightens a wedge against the stainless-steel railing tube. My question is how tight should I torque that bolt down to properly secure the railing but without deforming the tube? Manufacturer specs and install instructions do not list this piece of information.

My railing: S.R. Smith DMS 101 - Official S.R. Smith Products
The Anchors: Perma-Cast Company

NOTE: Perhaps the particular railing design is prone to twisting no matter what. The only solution may be a railing with a cross-bar (S.R. Smith DMS 103 - Official S.R. Smith Products). Looking to confirm this as well.

Thanks!

Just wanted to report back...

i checked the tube to NOT be deformed, so that's good. IMO, the existing wedges and bolts in the anchors were never properly tightened down when the pool was built. The finished cement patio/decking had texture layer that almost covered the bolt heads! After chipping it away, I wanged down the bolts until they started creaking, checking rail movement as I went. It still moves a bit, but only a wiggle now. It does not completely twist as before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.