Suction-side Leak: How worried should I be?

PenskeFile

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Georgetown
I have a suction-side leak - no doubt about it - as there is a bubble of air in the top of my pump and I see air bubbling up from the returns in the floor of the pool. Additionally, I sometimes have trouble reaching prime when my suction is set to come from the pool side (as opposed to spa). I can simply switch it over to spa, let it prime and start running and then switch it back to pool.

I plan to get this fixed, but my question to the forum is: how big a deal is this? Is this something I should fix immediately and maybe even call the pool service company - or can I wait a little while and try to isolate the source and fix it myself.

I did try the running water test and haven't isolated the source just yet.

I had the same problem just yesterday and took apart my suction side valves, cleaned and removed O-rings, lubed O-rings, put everything back together, tightened screws and now no bubbles and basket holds water when off. My "running water test" showed nothing either (probably did not hit that right spot with the water). These can be tricky. But the fact thatwhen you draw in from spa it works , at least means you isolated the air suction problem. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks @bongardjm, its very helpful to nknow that you fixed your issue that way, I'll give that a try for sure.

I also should have mentioned that I believe my valve which controls the spa/pool suction is broken. The handle on that one will rotate 360 deg. while all of my other valve handles only rotate 180 deg. Upstream from that one are a handle valve for the main drains and two smaller blue handle valves for the skimmers.

My pool is setup exactly the same. Its either the valve that controls spa/pool suction or the one that is downstream and controls the pool suction from main / skimmer. My issue was the pool/spa valve. Don't really know the culprit ..either lubing the o-ring, cleaning valve guts or tightening screws differently after putting all back together but one of the three worked! If that does not work it could be (but rarely) a crack in the lines in the earth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.