Can the plumbing be too big???

Jul 29, 2016
Jackson, GA
:confused: It is possible for the plumping, that connects the pump to the filter, to be too big? We did a new configuration with our pump this year and put a new pipe on the pump connecting to the filter. (I hope this makes sense). We got the 2" plumbing pipe with new fittings and a union and such. Well the pump is working fabulous but i'm worried its working too hard now. When it is on its pulling the water so hard that the skimmer flap stays down the entire time and if the water level a tad bit lower than normal, the pump wont prime unless you take the skimmer flap out..... :thumbdown: Other than the flap staying down and the priming problem, the pump and filter are working fine. So my question is, can the plumbing be too large and the pump working overtime? Will it burn up the pump?

P.s... First year doing the BBB method and its going AMAZING!! Got the levels all sorted out and stable and in the last month that its been opened I have only bought 3 gallons of bleach which most of the first gallon was used the first time adding it. My grand total on chemicals this month.... $6 :D:D:D

Not in your case. 2" plumbing is fine and can actually free up the pump allowing it to run more efficiently in some cases. Just keep an eye on the level to eliminate the prime issue and you'll be okay. As long as the pump has a full prime it isn't working too hard and can take whatever you're dishing out to it.

GL!

Increasing the size of the pipe between teh pump and filter will not cause the issue you are experiencing.
My first thought is that the skimmer wier, (the door) might be sticking. Ive seen that happen on the forum quite often and once in person on a friends pool, and people think they have pump problems. The wier should float freely. If its getting hung up, you can take it off and shave the sides of it down just a bit so it doesnt continue to get stuck.

As the other post mentioned, if your water level is on the low side, that can cause similar symptoms.

:confused: It is possible for the plumping, that connects the pump to the filter, to be too big? We did a new configuration with our pump this year and put a new pipe on the pump connecting to the filter. (I hope this makes sense). We got the 2" plumbing pipe with new fittings and a union and such. Well the pump is working fabulous but i'm worried its working too hard now. When it is on its pulling the water so hard that the skimmer flap stays down the entire time and if the water level a tad bit lower than normal, the pump wont prime unless you take the skimmer flap out..... :thumbdown: Other than the flap staying down and the priming problem, the pump and filter are working fine. So my question is, can the plumbing be too large and the pump working overtime? Will it burn up the pump?

P.s... First year doing the BBB method and its going AMAZING!! Got the levels all sorted out and stable and in the last month that its been opened I have only bought 3 gallons of bleach which most of the first gallon was used the first time adding it. My grand total on chemicals this month.... $6 :D:D:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.