looks like a leak

moonie

May 17, 2013
Thomasville NC
Ok, I started getting the pool ready a few weeks ago and the water quickly went from green to a beautiful blue. However we have a problem, we are losing water. The wife suggested letting it leak down to see where it stops. It seems to have stopped near the bottom of the opening to the skimmers. This leads me to believe the leak is in the junction of the skimmer to the liner. Does this sound reasonable? This is the first time I've opened this pool after winter as we purchased the house last year after it was professionally opened.

Refill the pool and use leak detection dye or food coloring to see if the color is being sucked in at the suspected leak area. Do a close visual inspection to see if there are any tears or areas where the liner has pulled away.

Refill the pool and use leak detection dye or food coloring to see if the color is being sucked in at the suspected leak area. Do a close visual inspection to see if there are any tears or areas where the liner has pulled away.

Do yourself a favor and watch some Youtube videos on how to do this. I tried it myself and didn't have much luck. Had a professional come in and he found the leak pretty quickly. Mainly because I didn't quite know how to do the leak detection properly and didn't have realistic expectations of what I'd see the dye do. You have to get fairly close to a small leak to really see it with dye. Youtube will help immensely.

Well the drop in water has definitely stopped before going below the skimmer intake and there is still water in the skimmers so I think I'm lucky enough for it not to be in the pluming. I'll inspect the liner around the pool especially at the skimmer intakes and the inside of the skimmers for damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.