Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: looks like a leak

1. Back To Top    #1

looks like a leak

Ok, I started getting the pool ready a few weeks ago and the water quickly went from green to a beautiful blue. However we have a problem, we are losing water. The wife suggested letting it leak down to see where it stops. It seems to have stopped near the bottom of the opening to the skimmers. This leads me to believe the leak is in the junction of the skimmer to the liner. Does this sound reasonable? This is the first time I've opened this pool after winter as we purchased the house last year after it was professionally opened.
    26K Gallon IG vinyl lined L shaped Haywoard Pro Series sand filter, T-CELL-9, Super Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: looks like a leak

Refill the pool and use leak detection dye or food coloring to see if the color is being sucked in at the suspected leak area. Do a close visual inspection to see if there are any tears or areas where the liner has pulled away.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Refill the pool and use leak detection dye or food coloring to see if the color is being sucked in at the suspected leak area. Do a close visual inspection to see if there are any tears or areas where the liner has pulled away.
    Do yourself a favor and watch some Youtube videos on how to do this. I tried it myself and didn't have much luck. Had a professional come in and he found the leak pretty quickly. Mainly because I didn't quite know how to do the leak detection properly and didn't have realistic expectations of what I'd see the dye do. You have to get fairly close to a small leak to really see it with dye. Youtube will help immensely.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Well the drop in water has definitely stopped before going below the skimmer intake and there is still water in the skimmers so I think I'm lucky enough for it not to be in the pluming. I'll inspect the liner around the pool especially at the skimmer intakes and the inside of the skimmers for damage.
    26K Gallon IG vinyl lined L shaped Haywoard Pro Series sand filter, T-CELL-9, Super Pump