Opening problems

Apr 25, 2017
Bremen, GA
hi guys,

I am fairly new to having and maintaining a pool. I took the advise of my father in law and Im not sure that I am off to a great start after finding this site.

My pool was uncovered during the winter and when I went to get it opened it was almost black. I had to replace the pump and started removing all the leafs and debris from the water. Taking his advise I poured 5 gallons of bleach into the pool and added two 3" chlorine tabs to the skimmer. Here is where I should mention that I have a SWG...

After adding the chlorine I began brushing twice a day and back washing, this wan on Friday and now on Tuesday the water is an opaque green(almost mint color). I brushed this morning before work and went home and back washed again at lunch.

When I leave work I am going to buy a chemical test kit, I live kind of out in the country so its a 30 min drive to get any pools supplies. I am trying to do this with as few trips and least amount of money as possible. Do I need to start vacuuming and if so, do I set it to waste or vacuum through the filter and then continue to backwash.

I have just read up on the SLAM technique and not sure if I have messed up and its too late to start this or where I should go from here...Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

WELCOME!

Post details about your pool in your signature (like mine and others.)

Are you getting one of the recommended test kits? (say yes)

If there isn't bulk organic material in the pool I'd vacuum on filter.

Let us know what your first test results are.

And post a pic or two!

Thanks i will add a couple pics this evening when I get home. The pool store told me it was 25,000 gallons....

I believe it is 18X32 ft( 3-8ft deep), Vinly side, 1hp heyward Sumper pump, and heyward S200 high rate sand filter.

Welcome to TFP!

It's never too late to SLAM, but you need to be properly equipped. You need a proper test kit, if you buy a cheaper one it is going to cost you much more money than if you had gotten the proper tool at the beginning. You need a kit with an FAS-DPD chlorine test. This is either the TF-100 or the K-2006. You will be lucky to find a pool store that carries a K-2006 and the TF-100 is only available online. Other than trying to remove any debris from your pool I wouldn't be dumping any more chemicals in the pool until you have a way to test your levels. Trying to fix a problem you 'think' you have is a surefire way to create new problems.

We can absolutely help you get this cleared up if you are up for it.

Thanks guys. My CYA level was 20, the pool math said to add 8lbs of stabilizer to the pool...That seemed a little much, maybe I am just not trusting the science yet, I added 4 lbs last night. Here are a couple of pics of its current state this morning.pool 2 5-3.JPGpool 5-3.jpg

Slow down!

Start with some numbers, like pool size and test results. The SLAM works better at lower CYA levels. When it's over, then you can raise it to maintenance levels. Don't add any more CYA until we can figure out how much more you added, that is: how many ppm does that 4 lb addition equal?

Have you order the test kit? The CYA number is it with test strips?
Nice move in not adding the total CYA since CYA can only be removed by draining water, its better to go slow.

Felipe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.