Baquacil - Use and Conversion

tcahill said:
7:00 Pm Central Time in Alabama. My reading are as follows:

FC 4.5
CC 15
TC 19.5

I think I'm getting close. The water is very clear with just a small tint of light green, I suspect my PH may be on the high side. What do you think?

:-D

You didn't list a pH. :wink: If you are taking pH readings while shocking, it's a false positive and should be disregarded. Only take pH measurements when the chlorine level is below 10ppm. :goodjob:

Keep shocking! :whip:

I tested FC last night 2 hours after adding chlorine. I got a FC of 23. This morning FC 15.5. I attempted the CC test but gave up after 50 drops of R-0871. I was holding on to my new cartridges but I think I may need to change them out today. The ones in the filter have to be shot since they are a year old. PSI has been running at 20. I don't have the time to soak the old ones overnight due to going out of town.

I wouldn't replace the filter cartridges just yet. You are still losing too much FC overnight. If you change the cartridges now, the new cartridges can get coated with baqgoo and have their performance permanently impaired. I would clean the old cartridges one more time and try to limp along with them till the conversion is complete.

If need be I will have to purchase additional cartridges, the ones I took out were shot. I replaced them yesterday morning and my pressure is running at the normal 5 or less PSI. The water was not curculating well AT 20 psi. I will check readings this afternoon and post.

As always thanks for the expert help.

Tested water about 1 half hour ago. FC-3 I attempted the CC test and after adding the 5 drops of R-0003, the sample turned a brownish golden color rather then pink. Adding R-0871 to the sample turned the water to pink after numerous drops. I guess I should just continue to work on the FC reading for now. The water is crystal clear and I must say has never looked this good. Yesterday when I got home it looked like the water in the Islands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC-3 This morning at 4:00.....Getting no where at this time. This problem seems to have started when we checked with the manufacture of the pool, Trilogy Pools. I have a inground fiberglass 24 x 12 kidney shaped. I started the conversion using the volume at 10000. I thought this was very large for this size pool. I used the cacluator to figure volume and came up with 6700. Trilogy says pool only holds 5300 gallons. Since changing the cacluator to this volume, I'm not making any progress. I think I will change the calc back to the 6700 volume rating and work from there. Any thoughts on that?

:cry:

Losing lots of chlorine is what is expected to happen. You just keep adding more till the level stays the same overnight. It isn't critical to know the exact pool volume. You are moving along, even if it doesn't seem like it. It always takes a number of days of adding chlorine before the FC level remains at reasonable levels overnight.

When you are doing a baquacil conversion the chlorine goes away very quickly, so seeing low FC levels the next morning is to be expected. Once you are further along in the conversion, and chlorine is hanging around for several hours, it will be possible to get an estimate of the pool volume using water testing. But right now you will have already lost most of your chlorine before it has mixed into the pool and can be tested, so you can't draw any conclusions about the pool volume.

Hello there :wave:
Don't give up. It took me three weeks to fully convert! I had a hard time holding FC overnight then one day it just magically happened. My pool looks amazing now. Just had a large 4th of July party with very nice clear water. My kids and I wanted to swim when the water was clear, but our numbers for FC were too high without the CYA. Just be patient. It will happen. :wink:

Bacqua is putting up one heck of a fight. FC - 12 this morning. I'm still unable to get a good CC reading and end up giving up rather then wasting the 0871. I have started to just pour in the bleach and not use the cacluator.

That remaining Baquacil can be quite the pain in the butt.
Keep at it, you will love the results. Keep nailing it with bleach
and just keep thinking of the fact that you will never need to go to the pool store again.

Enjoy your "NEW" pool. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.