Muddy Pool - Filter Problem

Jun 11, 2007
I have a 35K gal IG vinyl w/ Jacuzzi TriClops filter - 1HP single speed pump. Last Wed night the in bad storms the pool got mud washed into it. I've gotten the water clear and the dirt to drop to the bottom - mostly with the help of vacumming and cleaning the cartridges 3 times a day and Floc. (Pressure jumps fast) I soaked the cartridge and got them as clean as possible - but when I go to sweep up the bottom - I can see the dirt coming back out the returns and makes the pool cloudy again. I don't have a bypass or backwash. If I would sweep to waste - I'd drain the pool before finishing -- the pump drains the pool quickly.

I realize the cartridges are probably getting close to being shot, but wantd to clean this mess up before getting new. Any suggestions? (For those that that need numbers ... FC 17 Ph 7.5 Alk 110 CYA 60 Salt 3200 ... I am supplimenting the swg w/ bleech).

Also - Jazuzzing filters are hard to find and will cost $250 - $300 to replace. I was considering switching to DE or sand filter? Any pro or cons or should I stay with the filters. Also -- I have fixed the problem that let dirt run into the pool.

I don't know anything about that type of filter, but i'd say always vacuum to waste. You're gonna go nuts repeating the cycle of cleaning out the filter, and waiting for all your mud that you just recirculated to fall back to the bottom.

For SWG's it's good to use carts as your other levels stay more stable, since you don't backwash them. But if you don't like the expense of the replacements, then it's up to you. Of course a new filter is not cheap either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.