Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time on my own

1. Back To Top    #1

First time on my own

So the pool has officially been turned over to us. I will get on the computer and update my signature with equipment but first I need reassurance that I am doing the right thing.

My numbers are
    PH - 7.8
    FC- 2.5-3
    Total Alkalinity - 120
    Calcium Hardness - 200
    cYA - 80

My pool is approximately 26200 gallons so it looks from pool math that I need to add 30 oz of muriatic acid, 54oz of 6% bleach, and a whopping 582 oz of calcium chloride??? I am attaching my pool math results and I picked up some muriatic acid but now I'm not sure it is the right kind....and where do I get calcium chloride.

To say I am overwhelmed would be a huge understanding, haha!!

16 X 38 Roman shaped plaster pool (3.5' in shallow end, 8' in deep end), tanning ledge with lighted bubbler, Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP pump, Pentair 100D Sand Filter, Pentair intellichlor Salt Generator, Pentair Glo-Brite Light, Pentair Color LED Bubbler, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time on my own

You're not on your own. You have us.

I wouldn't worry about CH unless you have to get some kind of documented test results for warranty. It'll climb plenty quick as it cures and through evaporation. You set the target on poolmath. Why'd you go to the high end of recommended?

If CYA is really 80, you need to target a higher FC.

That "green" acid is not full strength stuff. Of course there's less fumes --- there's less acid! You need to find out the concentration and use the right one to calculate the acid dose.

It would be a big help if you'd fill out your signature and also tell us where Hallsville is. I had to look through your post history to see that it's a plaster pool. Later on, when you have more posts, nobody's going to bother.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi! Welcome to TFP! I'm still new myself, so I'll let the experts chime in to validate your numbers. As a new, first time pool owner myself, I'll just say that this forum has been fantastic for me to learn how to take care of my pool. We've had water in our pool for just over a month now and the water has stayed crystal clear following the recommendations here.

One thing I did want to warn you of is that the pic of the muriatic acid you posted is the lower concentration stuff. I got caught off guard by this too, but the stuff that says "low fumes" I believe is half as concentrated as the 31.45% stuff, so adjust accordingly. The full strength stuff should say on the bottle the concentration level. If it doesn't, assume it is half as strong.

Good luck with your pool!

Little Rock, AR - 25,000 Gallons Free-form Gunite (2017)
    Pentaire Intelliflo 2 3hp VSP & Intelliflo Whisperflo 3/4hp pump for water features
    Mastertemp 400K heater
    Clean and Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intellichlor IC40 & Intellitouch Controls

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much! I have updated my signature, I have to get on an actual computer to do that so I had not done it yet

Where would I find what my FC target needs to be? I intended to use default goals but looking back at it, it appears I messed up on some data entry. I will definitely pay more attention to the acid when I purchase it from now on.
    Thank you for your help!!
    16 X 38 Roman shaped plaster pool (3.5' in shallow end, 8' in deep end), tanning ledge with lighted bubbler, Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP pump, Pentair 100D Sand Filter, Pentair intellichlor Salt Generator, Pentair Glo-Brite Light, Pentair Color LED Bubbler, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

5. Back To Top    #5

Most bleach off the counter today we recommend is 8.25%. You don't mention salt level for SWG. I know where Hallsville is! I can spit and hit it!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!