Apr 28, 2017
Newark
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and pool ownership. I have a question regarding replacing the cartridges in my filter.

I have a D.E. filter with 4 cartridges inside. It seems very old to me and I couldn't find the right manual for it online or by talking to the company. The filter seems in good condition overall and running fine except that the 4 cartridges inside are now old. I see that it does let some dirt and particles pass through, so I am assuming there are some holes or cracks in the cartridges. I know the size of the current cartridges: 20" tall, 7" diameter and 3" inner diameter.
Filter.jpg filter 2.jpg

My question is primarily to find out which cartridges to buy. Is there any difference in the cartridges for D.E. filters vs other filters?
I saw some pictures online and most of them seem kind of cloth but the D.E. cartridges/grids appear more like plastic. Should I buy cartridges that are cylindrical but the material is similar to the D.E. grids that I see? Or should I buy the normal cloth kind of cartridges that I see in a lot of online websites?

I appreciate any help that you may provide.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes there is a difference between cartridges for DE filters and regular cartridge filters. You need cartridges designed specifically for use in a DE filter. I am not aware of different styles that may be available.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes there is a difference between cartridges for DE filters and regular cartridge filters. You need cartridges designed specifically for use in a DE filter. I am not aware of different styles that may be available.

Thank you for your reply. Do you or someone else here know where can I find these? Since my filter is an old discontinued model, I can't seem to find the Quad D.E. cartridges that match the dimension required for my filter.

Another question, which may be little basic is:
Are the cartridges listed at the following link for the D.E. filter or a simple non-D.E. filter?
http://www.poolcenter.com/filterCartridges/searchResults.jsp?criterionId=3&_requestid=227607

If they are not called out as de cartridges I would assume that they are not. You might try to contact INYO pools online, they seem to be really good at tracking down old parts.

Thank you Jason, I will try INYO pool and see if they have it.

And I think the current cartridges that the previous owner (I bought the places not that long ago) bought are not D.E. cartridges either. That may explain some problems with me using D.E. in the filter with non-D.E. cartridges. My system doesn't have a backwash option either so that also creates a maintenance problem.

Technically though, is it an alternate to just use regular cartridges in case I don't find D.E. cartridges? Seems like that's how my current system was set up by the previous owner, not sure if that is right though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.