How do I set my pump?

Jan 30, 2017
Goodyear, AZ
Hi, first time post. What should my pump settings be? I have an ecostar that can be set to 4 different speeds. The electricity rate for peak (currently 12PM to 7 PM) is 4 time the rate for off-peak. What should my settings be to effectively clean the water and minimize my utility bill? And, if it helps, the piping is mostly 2 inches, there is a shear waterfall, an in-line chlroinator, aerator, and heater. TIA

Howdy and welcome to TFP, the best place to not get a straight answer about pump run times, keep reading and you'll see why (=

This question is always answered in a way that no one likes. Pump times and speeds are really a personal preference and everyone and every pool is different. Here is a great write up on it. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I know you probably what a black or white answer, so here is the closest I can give you. Since you do not have a SWG, and I don't see a pressure side cleaner in your post, you could get away with very minimal run time in off peek hours. You basically need some good skimming time and enough time to mix chemicals that you add.

Argh, just looked up again and saw the inline chlorinator. Is that your primary(or any) source or chlorine? If so, we need to chat about more than just pump run time (=

Thanks for the reply. I will read the pool school link. I use the chlorinator only because the previous owner left 2 tubs full of tabs. I started also to use bleach after reading this forum. Is it bad to use both types at the same time? There are also pop up things on the pool floor, if that matters.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Not bad per-say, but you need to be informed on what the pucks are doing to your water and what may be in your future. Another great link Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool that I couldn't have said better myself. how are you testing your water and what are your current readings?

you may find out it will be cheaper and less hassle on you in the future to just ditch the "free pucks".

The pop up things on the floor are cleaners that I inderstand to not work so well, but hey, maybe yours do. If you use yours, that will increase the amount of time you are required to run your pump (still off peek though). I personally have Snowflake(Polaris p825 robot) do all my cleaning and she doesn't doesn't care if the pump is running out not when she is.

OK, I will chuck the pucks. I bought one of the test kits recommended on this site. Yesterday's numbers were:
FC:2.6
CC:0.4
pH:7.8
TA:80
CH:240
Cya:44
I am still learning how to test. The pool was emptied, acid washed, and refilled about 2 months ago.
I have had Polaris's in my last 2 pools... They are much better at cleaning IMHO.
I still want to know what speed s I should set the pump to (I can choose up to 4 different ones) and how long to run each.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Need to add some bleach to get your FC up. We round CYA numbers up, so that makes yours 50. Absolute minimum FC is 4 with a target between 6-8 per Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Now, back to the pump. I have a 2 speed and a SWG, so I will tell you what I do and why. Maybe it will help you. I start the day off with 30 minutes on high just to get the blood flowing and skim out any bugs from the night. Next is low speed for 10 hours while running the SWG to produce chlorine real nice and slow. Low still gives a decent surface movement to skim some. I end the day with 45 min on high to finish up the daily skimming. If I add acid, I run the pump on high for about 30 minutes to make sure everything is mixed well.

Times and speeds are just what works for you. I am lucky that I don't have any trees or plants by the pool, so I don't have to skim much. For skimming, probably one of your top 2 speeds. I could run my SWG 100% for about 2 hours and skim At the same time and that would be sufficient for my pool. I just choose to do it differently.

Maybe be someone with a VS pump will stop by and provide some input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.