Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High FC cause and control

1. Back To Top    #1

High FC cause and control

Just tested water and get a very high free chlorine reading at 10ppm.
    Other tests with new Taylor K2006Salt:
    PH 7.5
    TA 50ppm
    CH 280ppm
    CYA 56ppm
    Salt 3000ppm (Prologic shows 2700 and there is no way to recalibrate)

SWG T15 cell and Hayward Pro logic shows setting as ORP, not chlorine percentage. How do I control the FC level... run the pump less, lower the ORP setting (it is a 550 now-below the recommended level) or ???-any other suggestions.

T15 cell recently checked, some debris removed but no scaling visible.

The pool recently showed no CYA and the FC then was okay. My signature shows details of all my pool equipment. I must say I'm not particularly pleased with Hayward system, not easy. Maybe because there is so much information. Finding a pool tech who understands Hayward system is also difficult.
    21,000 gal+700 gal spa, Pebbletec in-ground POOL/SPA Pentair Easy touch 8/Star-ClearPlus 17502filter/1hp pump / Stenner metering pump 45M5 acid /Starlite gas heater /6060 3/4hp booster-Polaris 380 supply-side cleaner /Goldline valve actuators::SPAJETS 2.5hp pump /Silencer 2hp Blower SARASOTA FLORIDA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High FC cause and control

This is why we typically do not recommend controlling chlorine with an orp sensor. The orp reading is greatly influenced by the stabilizer level and other parameters. Likely you need to just turn down the orp setting and the chlorine level should drop but I don't know how stable it will be. We usually recommend just abandoning the orp control and just using a set percentage for a certain time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, lowering the orp setting and cya level is what I have done in the past. But is there a way with the Prologic & AQL-Chem to abandon the orp control and just set a chlorine percentage as you suggest?
    21,000 gal+700 gal spa, Pebbletec in-ground POOL/SPA Pentair Easy touch 8/Star-ClearPlus 17502filter/1hp pump / Stenner metering pump 45M5 acid /Starlite gas heater /6060 3/4hp booster-Polaris 380 supply-side cleaner /Goldline valve actuators::SPAJETS 2.5hp pump /Silencer 2hp Blower SARASOTA FLORIDA

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes there is a way to stop using the orp sensor and just use a normal % output. Don't know how to change it offhand, but I know it is in one of the manuals which you can get online if you don't have them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!