cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
FC 16
CC .5
pH 7.5
CYA 50
Alk 150

Started trying to get my pool blue again last week. Been brushing the pool surface every evening and putting in 2-3 gals bleach to keep it at 16. Every day when I get home from work the water is mostly blue, but extremely cloudy. I know there is pine straw and other leaves in the deep end but it's so cloudy, I can barely see 6 inches down. I put 2 lbs of stabilizer In Sunday and Monday. The first half I put In via skimmer. It took all day Sunday and most of Monday to dissolve with me shaking the sock to help it along. The second half I put In front of a return and it disolved within 3 hours. In the last 2 days a white film has developed and seems to be getting worse by the day.

Should I keep doing what I'm doing, or do I need to do something else?

Do I need to try to vacuum to try to get all the leaves and straw up even though I can't see the bottom or should I just keep brushing daily? Each day I brush, the amount of yellow cloud that comes up is smaller and the water turns less green with each brushing.

Yes, vacuum blindly. The more organic material you remove, the faster it will go. You want to chlorine to go after the algae, not the other debris.

Second, since you've raised the CYA level, you've also raised shock level. Your new target is 20 FC. White foam on the surface is not unusual. It's some kind of byproduct as the bleach kills stuff. Some people get it, some don;t. It will eventually clear.

Reread the SLAM article. Now that you're doing it, things will probably make more sense now and you might see something you missed the first time around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.