Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: checking chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

checking chlorine

Was wondering if their is a way to check the FC with the blue kit that came with my TF-100. My CYA is 80 so I need to keep my FC on the higher side and from what I can tell the blue kit only goes up to 10. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Also daily I only need to check FC & Ph is this correct?
    24k gallon, 16 x 37 IG , Gunite, Pentair cartridge 420, Whisper Flo Pump 2hp type CX model 011774 has 2, Polaris 280, built 09, TF-100 kit, Also has a wood burning heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: checking chlorine

The OTO viewer in the blue box (comparator viewer) is not very accurate or designed for higher FC levels. For accurate testing, it is always best to use the FAS-DPD (R-0870 powder & R-0871 drops) to test FC.

Testing FC and pH daily is a good routine, at least until you know how your pool typically reacts from day to day. If the testing becomes very consistent over the season, you might find yourself checking pH every 2-3 days, or using the powder & drops to test FC every other day, and using the simple OTO viewer on the other days. But you always want to keep a close eye on FC and pH for sure.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: checking chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by hilda View Post
    Was wondering if their is a way to check the FC with the blue kit that came with my TF-100. My CYA is 80 so I need to keep my FC on the higher side and from what I can tell the blue kit only goes up to 10. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Also daily I only need to check FC & Ph is this correct?
    The OTO test will only measure FC to 5ppm (10 is for Bromine). You should be using your FAS/DPD test for daily FC checks as your CYA at 80ppm dictates a FC of 9-11ppm with a minimum of 6ppm (I don't see a SWG in your sig), all outside the range of the OTO test.

I check FC & pH daily, TA 3-wks to monthly, but check more often if you use MA regularly to lower pH. CH & CYA monthly unless there is a major water exchange.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!