Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok this is the equipment I'm finally getting but need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok this is the equipment I'm finally getting but need advice

Hi Everyone,

I posted a few weeks back with some equipment I am getting ready to buy since the house I bought is missing all the equipment. I have finally settled with the below. I know it may be a little over kill but I plan on adding a waterfall or water feature later and want to be future proofed in a way.

18,000 gallon pool - free form Plaster with tile around the top. (No spa and No water features at this time)

Pentair VS-3050 pump
    Pentair Quad 80 DE Filter - with Hi-Flow Multivalve kit
    Pentair Easytouch 4 with IC40 Salt Generator
    Dolphin Pro robotic pool cleaner (was going to get suction side but I got this brand new for a few hundred less than anywhere)

I had a pool guy come to the house to give me a quote and I mentioned the above. He said the local Pentair rep. said I should go with a System 3 (Starite) or Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge system.
    He said the reason was because with the QUAD 80 DE filter, my pump wouldn't run as efficient, because it would have to run at 1800rpm +/- 200/300rpms to shoot the DE all the way up the cartridges to coat them from top to bottom.
    I asked him if I could start the pump on HI intially for a minute then go down to a slower rpm like 700 or 800rpm to filter the water and he said yes, but the DE would slowly fall down.

IS THIS TRUE?
    Also on Average how many times a year is everyone cleaning their DE filters and what size do you have?
    I'm in Northern California (Modesto, CA) area.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mike
    20,000 gallon free form plaster pool built in 2001. Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair Quad 80 DE Filter, Pentair 40k gallon salt chlorinator, Pentair Easy Touch 8 control panel, Fafco Solar water heater with 7 (4'x12') panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok this is the equipment I'm finally getting but need advice

Just FYI

DE powder is carcinogenic.
    I have a bias for cartridge filters.
    No backwash valve necessary for cartridge filter.
    People with oversized cartridge filters tend to like them. Those with undersized ones don't.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ok this is the equipment I'm finally getting but need advice

Learthur,

I should have mentioned I'm using the environmentally friendly Zeofiber (alternative to DE) stuff. It is made of wood pulp and is safe and it doesn't hurt plants or grass etc...

I kind of wanted that extra polished water.

Mike
    20,000 gallon free form plaster pool built in 2001. Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair Quad 80 DE Filter, Pentair 40k gallon salt chlorinator, Pentair Easy Touch 8 control panel, Fafco Solar water heater with 7 (4'x12') panels.