Cloudy Water

Apr 19, 2016
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have cloudy water and am not seeing it clear up - I believe my numbers are in the proper ranges after reading pool school info and have also deep cleaned the sand filter prior to opening. Filter is in good operation - no leaks or broken parts noted. I am unable to pass overnight loss test due to cloudy water. See water results below. And feedback is appreciated - thanks in advance!

My only next steps I think are:

1 - raise ph to 7.4-7.5 ( prob not necessary)
2 - add de to sand filter (not sure this will eliminate the cloudy water

----------

Setup

24 ft round vinyl ag pool - (about 13500 gallons)
hayward sand filter and matrix powerflo pump
using 8.25 bleach for chlorine

4/23 test results
ph - 7.2-7.3
fc - 21.5
cya - 50-60
ch - 150
Al - 70

results from today - note no chemicals added since last test and we did receive some rain
ph - 7.2-7.3
fc - 20
cc - .5-1
cya - 50-60
ch - 125
al -70

If your CYA is above 50, you need to be using the 60 CYA value for your SLAM - FC24.

pH can't be accurately read above FC10, so for now, all you need to test is the FC until your SLAM is finished - you can ignore the rest of the tests.

How long have you been SLAMing?
Have you pulled your ladder and checked it for algae (both under the rungs, and inside any ballast, tubes, etc)?
Are you running your filter 24 hours a day?
Are you brushing the whole pool at least once a day?

We'll be able to get you clear. Sometimes the cloudy stage is the hardest to clear up, especially in some above ground pools that don't have as good a filtration system. For now, we need to make sure you've addressed any remaining sources of algae and that you're maintaining the correct SLAM level.

Good point. I actually was keeping fc between 22-25. It's been about 2 weeks into the slam although about 1 week since getting to proper cya range.

I have not added the ladder and there is no algae in any piping.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ok, for now, it's going to be a case of POP - Pool Owner Patience. Keep it at SLAM levels, keep brushing, and keep that filter running.

Give it a little more time, make sure you're backwashing when the filter rises 15-20% 25% (thanks Dave) over clean pressure, and take pictures of the pool each day to help us to evaluate if you're making progress.

Ok, POP it is - I've been concerned because of not seeing any changes in the water. I will take some pics and post. Normal pressure is about 11 psi. I have been backwashing daily. Wastewater is whiteish when I backwash and clear when I complete. I could be waiting to backwash longer as psi doesn't get a chance to fluctuate very much with daily backwashing.

Here is a pic of water this morning. FC measured 23, added enough bleach to bring it to 25 using pool math.
e3e6ab25f88135e509ed0dcb57b64d8a.jpg

Splitting fine hairs here and I apologize for that. The standard TFP answer for backwash is a 25% increase in psi. mas985 developed that as a point where the efficiency of the pump starts to diminish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never thought I'd see the day! Passed the OCLT. Current stats:

Cya - 25 (working to bring this up to 40)
FC - 24.5
Cc - .5

When is it safe to get into the pool? Do I need to wait until chlorine level is below 10? I'm waiting for chlorine level to drop more before raising cya. Am I in the right track? I'll add a picture of the pool later today, there is some debris (rocks and remainder or snapper bones) that the vacuum isn't able to pick up - I need to get into the pool to remove them.

Thanks for any help on the next steps in advance!

It is safe to swim when:
pH is between 7.2 and 8.0
You can see the bottom of the pool (safety)
FC is below SLAM level for your CYA.

Given your current FC/CYA level, I'd stay out until FC falls below 12.

Edit - And congrats for passing your SLAM!!!! :cheers:

It is safe to swim when:
pH is between 7.2 and 8.0
You can see the bottom of the pool (safety)
FC is below SLAM level for your CYA.

Given your current FC/CYA level, I'd stay out until FC falls below 12.

Edit - And congrats for passing your SLAM!!!! :cheers:
FC was down to 14 today, that cane down quick! It has been hot and sunny (low 90s in VA today). Hopefully be able to jump in tomorrow and get the floor cleaned up better...how frequently, under normal operation, do you typically have to add bleach? Based on slam process, I'm guessing it will be about daily or every other day.

FC was down to 14 today, that cane down quick! It has been hot and sunny (low 90s in VA today). Hopefully be able to jump in tomorrow and get the floor cleaned up better...how frequently, under normal operation, do you typically have to add bleach? Based on slam process, I'm guessing it will be about daily or every other day.

You should test and add bleach every day during the summer. Most pools will use 2-4ppm without bather load, which means waiting more than one day will usually put you below minimums.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.