New pool owner

Apr 25, 2017
Ottawa
Hi All,

We just recently bought a house last month with an in-ground pool and while doing some pool research I stumbled upon this wonderful site. I don't have the details of the pool right now, that's at home somewhere, but I do know that it's a vinyl liner, SWG, ~11,000 gallons. I will update sig. with details when I get that.

I've been on the fence whether to open the pool myself and have a go, or hire someone the first time around and take it from there. I've decided to hire someone to open it, and watch and ask questions as they do it. Mostly because I'm not familiar with what equipment is what yet. I went with an independent contractor, which had good reviews, rather than a pool store as I was not interested in getting sold extra stuff I don't need. I've got a Taylor K-2006 coming in the mail in the next week or two.

In the package that was offered from this contractor, they include an algaeside and shock. They also start up all the equipment and make sure all is good, no leaks, tears, etc... I've asked, and they don't add any salt upon opening. Is this normal? Should I just let them do their thing and add some salt and get the SWG going afterwards? If so, how long after? I've gone through all the pool school and some threads, and think I have an idea of what I'll need to do when everything gets going, I just wanted to check in and see if I'm off to a good start.

Welcome,

Overall I would say yes, but you can do without the Algaecide, and add your own salt later. Your water will likely still be too cold to generate FC unless you heat it. The Alagacide may contain unwanted things like Copper, and Chlorine is all you need for it anyway. If it were mine, I wouldn't let them add the shock until I knew my Calcium, and stabilizer levels. One or the other will be added with shocks, and you may have enough of both already. Perhaps too much, one or the other. They will charge you more for salt than you can purchase it for...unless you don't want to mess with it. Others will weigh in with more, but I wanted to say hello, and welcome you aboard. Hope you enjoy the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply all. Seems like a great community you have here and I look forward to being a part of it. I was aware that SWG don't work unless the water is above 60, so I wasn't too concerned about the whole salt thing, just wondering what common practice is. I do have a gas heater, and will be running it from the start to at least get my temp above 60 so I can add my salt and get that going. Also, looks like we're going to have above average temperature this coming month, so getting an early start to have it ready to go would be nice.

Is there any harm if they add the shock and bring the stabilizer or calcium out of range. How hard/easy is that to fix? I had a peak under the cover and the water does look pretty good. no green that I can see, just a little cloudy.

Is there any harm if they add the shock and bring the stabilizer or calcium out of range. How hard/easy is that to fix? I had a peak under the cover and the water does look pretty good. no green that I can see, just a little cloudy.
Patrick_B answered this :)

If it were mine, I wouldn't let them add the shock until I knew my Calcium, and stabilizer levels. One or the other will be added with shocks, and you may have enough of both already. Perhaps too much, one or the other.

If you are dying to do something, add 1/2 gallon of bleach a day until your test kit comes!

So I just got my Taylor kit. I tried to test for CYA following the intructions provided, but I can fill the tube up all the way, and still clear and can see the black dot at bottom. Is it possible the level is so high, It can't be read, or likely a bad reagent? Or maybe I have super-vision and I can see through anything?