Chlorine (and effects of sunlight/shade)

Apr 24, 2017
Miamisburg, OH
Hi All,

Though I am a new member here, I have been frequenting the site and forum since I acquired my 33,000 in ground concrete pool last July.

I have a question about chlorine and sunlight/shade. My question is this:

I know it is always recommended to shock/add chlorine at night or in the evening. I am curious if anyone has any insight on adding chlorine once the pool is in full shade. My pool is pretty close to my 2 story brick house, so full shade is around 5:30PM this time of year. Assuming shade is better than full sun as a time to shock/add chlorine, is there an advantage to still wait until dark? (No one would be using the pool when I shock either). For what it is worth, I use liquid chlorine (currently Menard's 12.5%). I also recently floc'ed the pool since I have no main drain (only one skimmer and one return) and had great results after vacuuming this morning, so at this point, I am just trying to stabilize levels/etc. So far so good. I always appreciate the good advice and thank you all in advance for any input on this topic.

- pic of my pool attached

Cheers!
:cheers:

Attachments

• 2017-04-24 17.29.11-1.jpg
    2017-04-24 17.29.11-1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 107
Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you've been lurking here for months I'm sure you realize that we never recommend shocking the pool on a regular basis.

I usually add my chlorine in the evening as it is convenient for me (after work). I suppose that the secondary benefit is less time exposure to UV from the sun, but with the proper CYA level that is minimal.

What is more important than when, is how much. In other words, as long as you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio it really doesn't matter when you add chlorine, except that being consistent and regular with your FC additions is key.

Nice to have you with us, thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it really matters on a day-to-day basis. For easy math, let's say your minimum FC is 4 and your daily usage is 2. You add at 6 PM. You are at 6. At 6 AM you are still at 6. At noon, probably 5. At 6, 4. And the cycle starts again. Or... you add at 6 AM. At noon you're at 5, at 6 PM you're down to 4. At 6 AM you're still at 4. What's the difference? You never dipped below minimum.

If you're battling algae and the CYA level is real low, then you may gain some advantage by chlorinating in the dark. But you'd be adding every couple hours anyway during a SLAM anyway, so again nothing is really gained. Setting your alarm to wake you up in the middle of the night to stumble out and replenish the chlorine would probably help if the pool is a real sludgepond, but only for the first day or two.

Thank you, domct203. Yes, I have read that too much shocking is not advised before. Currently I am at the end of a battle with algae and trying to get the water cleared up, so I am adding liquid chlorine as needed until it maintains. My CYA is a bit low, but not dramatically (just a cpl points below 30). I am going to read up on getting a steady holding FC level now. That is something I need to have a good grip on heading into this summer. Much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you've been lurking here for months I'm sure you realize that we never recommend shocking the pool on a regular basis.

I usually add my chlorine in the evening as it is convenient for me (after work). I suppose that the secondary benefit is less time exposure to UV from the sun, but with the proper CYA level that is minimal.

What is more important than when, is how much. In other words, as long as you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio it really doesn't matter when you add chlorine, except that being consistent and regular with your FC additions is key.

Nice to have you with us, thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard320. I am (thankfully seeing blue water - a little chalky/cloudy albeit, but so much better than what it was just a day ago.) If it is one thing I have learned about swimming pools - it's that patience is a virtue. At my previous home, I owned a spa...such a breeze maintaining compared to a 33,000 gal pool, but I am enjoying learning as I go! :)

18Wheeler,

If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of your pool, including depth? I saw you mention your pool is 33,000 gallons, but I'm just not seeing that, unless it's very deep. I'm just wondering as I just went through determining my pool size (+/- 12,000 gal) and yours doesn't appear to be much bigger than mine.

Hey guys, Thanks, you know, I guess I never really thought about it, but just went along with the size mentioned on the home inspection report. It is about 10 feet deep on one end to the middle. I recall my pool guy saying he thought it was a little less (I believe he thought more like 25000). I will measure it tomorrow and post the dimensions. It is a buckeye pool from what I have been told. It was built in the 80's I believe. It has a diving board, but I took it down because we are replacing it. Thx for mentioning this. I would like to know if it is a different gallon amount for sure! I will report back sometime tomorrow.

OK all, here are my measurements (tried to do the best I could). Let me know what you think! Were they way off in the size? (see pic attached)

It does measure a few inches above 9 feet in the very middle (I am guessing 9 feet, 4 inches) At the stairs end it starts at 3 feet and gently slopes to 9 feet. On the diving board end it slopes up quickly to more like 5 feet. The pool has a ridge that goes all the way around about 2 feet into the water. Hoping to be able to see to the bottom soon (wish I had a main drain, but may stick my vacuum and turn it upside down to help filter the bottom stub that I can't get through the skimmer.)

--------
Sorry guys, I tried to update the pic and was having real headaches trying to re-attach...here you go....
buckeye-pool.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting. pictures just must have been deceiving with the size. I might guess that it's still a little less than 30k but as you test and adjust your Chemistry levels that you should be able to dial in on something a little closer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.