CYA test question

Apr 8, 2017
Hesperia, CA
Hi all,

I am testing with a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I have a question about the CYA test. I appologise if I'm resding to much in to it.

When testing CYA, it says to pour water in the tube until the black dot BARLEY dissapears. Please help me define BARLEY DISSAPEARS !!! Do I ad water until I can barley see the black dot ? Do I add water until the black dot is no longer visible ?

I know its a silly question, but I am trying to make sure my CYA test is accurate.

Thanks..... Mike

Do I add water until the black dot is no longer visible ?
That's it Mike. Until you can't see it anymore. Below is my own technique, and also the TFP CYA test guidance link if it helps:
Pool School - CYA
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Difficult to satisfy accuracy with this test. I've found that pouring to certain levels then quick glancing works best. Fill to 100 for example, hold at waist, back to sun. If you see the dot, fill to 80 etc. If you stare too long you'll see your head in reflection. Keep at it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Difficult to satisfy accuracy with this test. I've found that pouring to certain levels then quick glancing works best. Fill to 100 for example, hold at waist, back to sun. If you see the dot, fill to 80 etc. If you stare too long you'll see your head in reflection. Keep at it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is how I do it now. Great advice! It only makes sense because we are supposed to round up anyways. So fill it to the next measurement and take a peek. It keeps you from staring at the dot also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.