Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test question

Hi all,

I am testing with a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I have a question about the CYA test. I appologise if I'm resding to much in to it.

When testing CYA, it says to pour water in the tube until the black dot BARLEY dissapears. Please help me define BARLEY DISSAPEARS !!! Do I ad water until I can barley see the black dot ? Do I add water until the black dot is no longer visible ?

I know its a silly question, but I am trying to make sure my CYA test is accurate.

Thanks..... Mike
    18 X 38, 18K gal, IGP W/ Infinity Spa. EasyTouch 8 ch
    Pentair 1.5HP VS pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Pentair 250K HD heater, Del Ozone Corona Discharge
    - Generator ( Eclipse 10 ).
    Pebble Tec Finish. Dolphin Triton Plus vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test question

Do I add water until the black dot is no longer visible ?
    That's it Mike. Until you can't see it anymore. Below is my own technique, and also the TFP CYA test guidance link if it helps:
    Pool School - CYA
    Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks a million !!! I have been doing it wih my face right up against the tube !!! This really helps.... Thank you.... Mike.
    18 X 38, 18K gal, IGP W/ Infinity Spa. EasyTouch 8 ch
    Pentair 1.5HP VS pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Pentair 250K HD heater, Del Ozone Corona Discharge
    - Generator ( Eclipse 10 ).
    Pebble Tec Finish. Dolphin Triton Plus vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Difficult to satisfy accuracy with this test. I've found that pouring to certain levels then quick glancing works best. Fill to 100 for example, hold at waist, back to sun. If you see the dot, fill to 80 etc. If you stare too long you'll see your head in reflection. Keep at it!

12,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    Difficult to satisfy accuracy with this test. I've found that pouring to certain levels then quick glancing works best. Fill to 100 for example, hold at waist, back to sun. If you see the dot, fill to 80 etc. If you stare too long you'll see your head in reflection. Keep at it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    That is how I do it now. Great advice! It only makes sense because we are supposed to round up anyways. So fill it to the next measurement and take a peek. It keeps you from staring at the dot also.
    7000k Viking fiberglass Bermuda, Sand filter w/glass, Pentair SuperfloVS, Pentair IC20 swg
    Raypak 106k, Dolphin s-200, Taylor k-2006c, Taylor k-1766, Speedstir, Little Giant cover pump.