Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hot Start or Follow Wet Edge Guide??

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Hot Start or Follow Wet Edge Guide??

Well, the Wet Edge plasterer just left. He said to do a hot start and recommended adding 4 bottles of MA for my ~15,000 gallon pool/spa.
    I am the one responsible for start up.

This contradicts what Wet Edge specifies. http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/f...structions.pdf

Which should I do?

I want my Wet Edge warranty to be valid.... plasterer added sequestrant. Going to start brushing as soon as they can fix the switch today and get me power to my aqualink so I can start my pump.

What do you guys think?

Oh, as per my sig, I've got Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation.

Going out to test the water with my TF100 kit now.
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hot Start or Follow Wet Edge Guide??

Not a fan of hot starts at all. I would follow that guide before I did a hot start. I don't know how involved you want to get, or what your makeup Chemistry is, but there is a bicarb startup option. Sorry you didnt get answered yet, hopefully you check in soon and let us know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, we live in an area that has slightly alkaline water. When I tested it after filling, it had a calcium hardness of 225, ph of 8.2, total alkalinity of about 100. After reading a bit more about hot starts I decided to do exactly as Wet Edge tells you to since they are who is giving the warranty. So I brushed twice today and adjusted the PH downward. Will check in the morning to see how much MA to add. I think hot starts are for people who don't want to do the brushing and test twice daily, etc. I would rather do that than degrade my finish by dumping a ton of acid in my pool. It's no big deal to me to brush the pool and test. Seems like Wet Edge wants you to follow the Traditional Start Up.
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

4. Back To Top    #4

Exactly. Sounds like you've done plenty of reading and took the right track. Good for you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Good call to follow Wet Edge guidelines. I'm also not a fan of a hot start. Congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Patrick!

PoolDV, I didn't like what I read about hot starts... and I'm so glad that I decided to go with the Traditional Start that Wet Edge says to do. The pool is already looking good, not that much plaster dust, color is bluer every day, and the water is really clear. Plus, it hasn't been that hard to keep the Ph level correct. I read where a hot start can make you have problems with the ph rising for a year or more because the acid softens the plaster.

Pool isn't new, but it feels like it is with the new finish. I would have never picked a white finish like the people who built it, and would have made it deeper to keep the water coolor here in Texas. But it was already here and it was a lot cheaper to buy a house with a pool than put one in.