When to replace sand filter

nottinbe

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Webster Groves, MO
I have a Pentair TA-100D sand filter that I am guessing is 15 years old based on the age of some of the other equipment I've replaced. The multiport valve is shot so at a minimum I will need to replace that.

I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the valve (looks to be around $200) vs. replacing the entire filter (looks to be around $650 delivered). It looks like the fiberglass is "wearing" on the inside and out, but I'm not sure if that is just cosmetic. Does the filter body itself have a lifespan that I am nearing the end of, or with new valves do they last forever?

Thanks
Brian

They last a long, long time. Most of the time way more than 15 years, and indefinitely depending on how weathered it gets. Or if it gets damaged. If isn't cracked and leaking, and you can get parts for it, then why change it is my thought. Sometimes the valves just need new gasket kits put in but if its shot, slap a new one on and go.

I seriously doubt it's near the end of it's life by a long shot. Here's one recently posted, and still in service, made before it was even a Pentair branded filter. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.