Newer Hot Tub Owner, please help me make sure I am on track

Mar 24, 2015
MO
Hello - I bought a used Hot Tub, almost free. I had a company go over it, they used a product to clean it, and made some minor repairs. They delivered it, and I got it working, filled it, and then got my chemicals in order. I am using the Chlorine method here. Initially, I did not have DiChlor handy, so I did CYA and Chlorine until I got to 30ppm CYA (I now have DiChlor). I also did 20 Mule Team to get the Borates included. Overall, the first 45 days with the tub have been pretty sweet!

Here are some things I learned, and then some ideas for moving forward, as I do my first drain and refill. I am WIDE open to suggestions.

- the hot tub seems to use quite a bit of Chlorine, maybe this is normal.
- the hot tub has an Ozonator, but I understand these usually don't last long. I bought an Ozone test kit, but have not done it yet as it is pretty involved. Is this worth testing, or should I should punt the idea of an Ozonator. In other words, is it worth testing, and then possibly replacing.
- I just re-read the Chlorine method on the site, and I realized I did not use MPS. I am guessing I need to add that to the routine.
- I bought new filters (the tub uses two), and I have a spare to rotate in, so I can thoroughly clean one at a convenient time.
- we seem to get a lot of foam. I am guessing it is primarily from detergents in guest's bathing suits. I don't want guests to be worried about this, so is there a product that can be used to knock down the foam, that does not cause other issues. I did buy two scum bugs, and use one at a time, cleaning the other when not in use.
- I did buy Ahh-some, and plan to use it during this drain/fill cycle. I did not have it when I filled the first time.

Questions:

- how important is MPS usage in the routine?
- Should I mess with testing and possibly replacing the Ozonator, or just punt?
- any tips on knocking down foam safely.
- I will do some research on proper cleaning with Ahh-some.
- Is there anything else I should be doing or considering?

Thanks!

Questions:

- how important is MPS usage in the routine?

If chlorine is doing the job for you, then you don't need MPS at all. MPS is simply a secondary oxidizer that can help to speed up the removal of bather waste faster; it is not necessary.

- Should I mess with testing and possibly replacing the Ozonator, or just punt?

Up to you on testing but, honestly, an ozonator should never be used with a chlorine hot tub unless you have a way to control it (ON/OFF). Ozone and chlorine destroy one another and so using an ozonator all the time will simply lead to excess chlorine demand.

- any tips on knocking down foam safely.

It's probably caused by whatever it is they used to purge the lines. They likely left residual amounts of it in the plumbing instead of shopvac'ing it out of the jets or blowing it out of the plumbing. Time and chlorine will eventually take care of it.

- I will do some research on proper cleaning with Ahh-some.

Ahh-some is by far the best of the breed in terms of system purges. I bet if you use it on your next water exchange, you'll find gunk left behind from whatever the spa store added. Use it once a year at most, not with every water exchange. And only use the exact recommended amount, too much Ahh-some can lead to foamy water that you'll never get rid of.

- Is there anything else I should be doing or considering?

Thanks!

Just follow the directions in the sticky and keep testing your water. Eventually you'll get a good feel for the tub's needs and it will be easy to operate.

Enjoy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.