Suggestions for large amounts of leaves in pool

okiediver

Sep 3, 2015
Ft Myers FL
Pool Size
Hello! We have very high winds here in Oklahoma, sometimes up to 25 MPH. The leaves in the pool are driving me insane (and its a short trip lol). We have Photinia (sp) bushes nearby for privacy and when the wind blows the leaves cover the pool. We empty the skimmers prob 10 times a day on these days...which is a lot in the spring.

Question--we are going on a 10 day vacation in 2 weeks and we are very nervous about leaving our pool unattended due to this issue....our neighbors will also be gone at this time....we don't want to turn the pool off but was wondering if they make any kind of guard for the skimmer so at least it wont fry the pump from overworking? Or some other kind of topside skimmer?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I built some small skimmer covers out of small PC and plastic mesh for gardens, they are basically a box slightly larger than the skimmer and I used some Velcro run through the skimmer trim ring to hold them on. I with it sticking out a couple inches I don't have to worry about it covering up the skimmer completely. In the winter we get an enormous amount of leaves from our neighbors' oak trees and it is easy to net them off the bottom than empty the skimmer every hour around the clock.

Sseaman that sounds perfect. We do have a leaf cover and used it all winter but its 80 degrees now and the cover is off and these high winds are brutal. We also get construction debris from the neighborhood under construction too its awful! Ill give it a try!

Do you have a main drain? Make sure that it is open also so *if* the skimmer gets so full that it impedes the water flow to the pump, that your main drain will keep the pump fed with water also.

Please add to your signature if this is an inground or above ground pool. Thanks :)

Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.