Switch to bleach, PH drifting up

Etek14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
I was using trichlor in the big bucket from Wally, my PH was solid at 7.5, TA is 110, chlorine holding nicely.I switched to bleach because my CYA reached 85 and would like to continue using bleach. I have a fountain on my return, this aeration and swimming has caused my PH to rise recently 7.8. The chlorine level don't seem to hold as well overnight, I'm showing NO CC's.I added a bit too much acid and wound up at 7.2. I would like a bit more Borates anyway to my pool since the strips say I'm not at recommended level. Is it fine to add Borax to get my PH back to 7.5 or should I aerate. I don't want to end up in a cycle back and forth adding chemicals. I really liked the PH being solid and chlorine holding but something has changed. We have had more hot days also.Pool school says TA 70-90, is this optimum in my case and should I drain the CYA back to recommended 30-50.

Thanks for the expert help.........

Lower your CYA to 50 ppm, it will make your life much easier.
Then lower your TA to 70 or 80 ppm. Your ph will become more stable.
Third bring your borates up to 50 ppm.

The trichlor is acidic, it was helping to hold the pH down. I get the same effect when I'm using tabs in the floater; pH and FC don't move. When you stop using trichlor you need to compensate with both bleach and acid. Borates should help; I haven't used them in my pool but I have been really impressed how well they've worked in my spa.
--paulr

Waterbear, thanks for your reply. Just to be clear I lower CYA to 50, check PH, then lower PH to 7.2 with acid and aerate to 7.5 progressively until TA is 70-80. Then with PH 7.5 and TA 70-80 start the Borate procedure for 50 ppm.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.