TF-100 Test Kit Question

psualum

Bronze Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
Douglassville, PA
Pool is currently being built. Fun times! I've seen strong support for the TF-100 test kit on all over the forums. I went out to the site to purchase one for our new pool and I just don't have the knowledge of what I need with my kit (i.e. the optional add-ons).

The options are:

1. Speedstir (I understand this and will add)
2. Borates test strips
3. Taylor K-1766 test strips
4. Salt test strips - Aqua Check
5. XL option

Not sure what 2-5 are and if I need them. My pool will be a 26,000 gallon IG pool with an autopilot SWCG and variable speed pump. No spa. Initial water will be trucked in as we are on a well. I will be spending a lot of time in pool school thee next few months! LOL. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Number 2 is used if you plan to add borates. Folks add these to their pool for a few reasons. Here is an interesting read: Borates - Why and How
Number 3 or 4: 3 seems to be the one I hear about the most, since you are planning a SWG, these are a good thing to have.
Number 5: With a new, clean, pool you don't need this option. Not bad to get but more useful if you have a swamp to clean up.

1. Excellent! Great choice you won't regret.
2. Forget this right now. You can (maybe) add Borates much later.
3. Get this kit. Its worth it with a SWG. It's a drop test (best) not strips
4. Negated by 3.
5. I wouldn't suggest it in your case.

I would definitely wait at least a year before considering adding borates to understand your pool. Additionally I don't recommend them at all for pool's that close for the winter. Here's why. When you drain in winter you are pouring chemicals down the drain. Then you may also pump during the winter if you have a mesh cover. So more lost chemistry. So each spring you buy more boric acid (and CYA and salt). It's frankly an unnecessary expense in northern pools in my opinion.

Yes you may have increasing pH during the first year or more from the plaster, it likely and eventually subsides and you are left with more stable water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.