Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Test Kit Question

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 Test Kit Question

Pool is currently being built. Fun times! I've seen strong support for the TF-100 test kit on all over the forums. I went out to the site to purchase one for our new pool and I just don't have the knowledge of what I need with my kit (i.e. the optional add-ons).

The options are:

1. Speedstir (I understand this and will add)
    2. Borates test strips
    3. Taylor K-1766 test strips
    4. Salt test strips - Aqua Check
    5. XL option

Not sure what 2-5 are and if I need them. My pool will be a 26,000 gallon IG pool with an autopilot SWCG and variable speed pump. No spa. Initial water will be trucked in as we are on a well. I will be spending a lot of time in pool school thee next few months! LOL. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
    Pool Completed Spring 2017: 650 sq ft (26,000 gallon) IG free form (depth 3'-8'). AquaBright Finish (Blue Lagoon). Jandy DE Filter (DEV60). Jandy VS Pump. AquaCal SQ120R Heat Pump (110,000 BTU). AquaCal Autopilot SWCG. 1600 sq ft concrete.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: TF-100 Test Kit Question

Number 2 is used if you plan to add borates. Folks add these to their pool for a few reasons. Here is an interesting read: Borates - Why and How
    Number 3 or 4: 3 seems to be the one I hear about the most, since you are planning a SWG, these are a good thing to have.
    Number 5: With a new, clean, pool you don't need this option. Not bad to get but more useful if you have a swamp to clean up.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

1. Excellent! Great choice you won't regret.
    2. Forget this right now. You can (maybe) add Borates much later.
    3. Get this kit. Its worth it with a SWG. It's a drop test (best) not strips
    4. Negated by 3.
    5. I wouldn't suggest it in your case.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I would definitely wait at least a year before considering adding borates to understand your pool. Additionally I don't recommend them at all for pool's that close for the winter. Here's why. When you drain in winter you are pouring chemicals down the drain. Then you may also pump during the winter if you have a mesh cover. So more lost chemistry. So each spring you buy more boric acid (and CYA and salt). It's frankly an unnecessary expense in northern pools in my opinion.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Yes you may have increasing pH during the first year or more from the plaster, it likely and eventually subsides and you are left with more stable water.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!