How to wire a single speed motor when replacing a 2 speed

Apr 15, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
I am replacing a 2 speed motor with a new single speed, and I am not sure on the wiring. The 2 speed had 3 connections. A black wire was connected to the first, a red wire to the second, and a blue wire to the third. Of course, there was also a ground. The new motor only has 2 connections. Do I just connect the black and red (and ground) and cap off the blue wire, or do they all play in somehow?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

Why you down grading to a single speed?

Your question is hard to answer due to lack of information. Your 2 speed ran on 230v power, so you have to make sure the single speed is setup for 230v. Then you have to figure out which wires are providing that power. Where was the switch for the old pump?

There should be a wiring diagram on the side of the motor.

Pictures might help if you still have questions

Usually, terminal 1 will be common and 2 and 3 will be the switched leg to select high or low.

Assuming that that is what you have, you would use black and red or black and blue and cap the other wire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.