Thoughts on FC Levels

We didn't experience chloramines to any extent that I remember. I think my dad had the TC level dialed in pretty well and just by keeping on it all the time he kept "the smell" away. I remember doing the OTO tests but I have no idea what the targets we were shooting for. This was a lot of beers (among other things) ago.

The problem with OTO is there's no way to differentiate between FC and CC. So you could actually have a high CC level and the OTO just tells you you have 4ppm TC. Is that 4ppm FC and 0 CCs? 0 FC and 4ppm CCs? something in between? The only way to know is to rely on a smell and that's just not that great because I bet I'd smell CCs way before anyone else does.

But that was then! In the 1960's and 70's you had nothing else but OTO. So there's no sense in worrying about it. The funny part is my wife's uncle (who married us...Navy chaplain) came to visit us 2 years ago. When I told him we had a pool, he recounted to me that, when they lived in Boise (early 1980's), they had a house with a pool and it was, in his words, "the worst 5 years of my life dealing with the [insert adult explitive] pool!" and he was glad when they got reassigned to Kansas City. When I showed him my setup, with all the automation and how I can test for all the chemicals independently, he shook his head and admitted that it's waaaaaay easier to take care of pools nowadays.

I am enjoying this conversation immensely, gentlemen.

Thanks, we aim to please and provide as much geekiness here at TFP as we can.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.