Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic Pool Cleaner for Gunite Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic Pool Cleaner for Gunite Pool?

Currently I have a Polaris 380 with the booster pump and I find it doesn't pick up all the debris in the pool and it continues to get stuck on our stairs and doesn't "unstick" itself. We've had two pool companies come out and both say it's working in great condition and they wouldn't replace it. To say I'm fed up is an understatement. HELP!
    25,000 gallon IG gunite pool/spa w waterfall (Pool built roughly around 1990)
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T2 Emerson 1081 Pool Motor 2 speed Hayward SwimPure Plus Turbo Cell (for 40,000 gallons) Polaris 380 with separate booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner for Gunite Pool?

I love my Doheny's Discovery Robot. It works WAY better than my old Pentair Legend II pressure cleaner. More about it in my pool thread, link in sig. Also more here, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's what it does constantly!

Polaris 380 - YouTube
    25,000 gallon IG gunite pool/spa w waterfall (Pool built roughly around 1990)
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T2 Emerson 1081 Pool Motor 2 speed Hayward SwimPure Plus Turbo Cell (for 40,000 gallons) Polaris 380 with separate booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm stalking your thread now ☺️

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL!! Yeah, throw that thing far, far away!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Why isn't the tail sweep operating on that 380??
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I know! 😩

- - - Updated - - -

No clue. Literally two companies have come out to look at it. Its doing WAY more than it was. But it's still not cleaning up the debris.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I'm pretty sure that tail sweep is broken. I also think it is an essential part of the cleaners ability to pick up debris. I would fix the cleaner.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Automatic Pool Cleaner for Gunite Pool?

I've never owned a pressure cleaner but that seems to be moving quite fast in my opinion. I'm not sure how it can clean anything zipping around like that. And, as others have noted, it's dragging the tail-sweep behind it and the sweep is barely moving.

I'd bring it into a pool shop that does repairs and show them that video. I bet the repair guy would know what's going on.

On a separate note, after using my suction side cleaner for four seasons with mediocre results, I just purchased a robot cleaner. Worlds of difference and I'm so happy with it so far. Wish I hadn't waited as long as I did but I'm glad I made the switch.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

At first glace of the video, I was thinking you might be having a problem with the backup valve not firing. I was looking for the proper RPM for a 380 and found THIS PAGE (28-32 RPM BTW). Looking over the page, though, might give you some things to try.
    Pool: 40x15ft "Mt. Lake" shaped plaster IG (30k gallons with Borates)
    SWG: Circupool Si-45
    Pumps: Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2302VSP) + Booster Pump for Polaris 180
    Robot: Kreepy Krauly 830 || Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA-60D (Sand)
    Test Kit: TF-100 (with Speed Stir)

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

If you are fed up and want to eliminate the booster pump, get a robot! My pressure side cleaner was still working just like day 1 (which is to say not that good) and I just threw it and it's booster to the side. But you will spend $500 - $1,000 which ain't chump change.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

It's been repaired twice- by two different pool companies and this is the best it's worked in a long time. I think I may pull the trigger on a Discovery!