Trying SWG again

earbuster62

Bronze Supporter
Apr 12, 2017
Murphysboro, IL
Where do I start?
I presently have an aboveground steel pool that was chlorine but a year later reto-fitted for a Hayward aquarite SWG. One end is partially in the ground (maybe 1ft.). It's about 10 yrs old and is pretty much shot from corrosion. I'm an electrician so the pool is grounded and bonded. After I had the pool installed I built a treated wood deck around the perimeter of the pool and stain every 2-3 years while replacing the treated deck screws it was built with. I am getting ready to replace the pool and would like to again use a chlorine generator as my sanitation method (my wife loves it!). My question is:
What can/must I do to discourage the problems with corrosion I had with the previous pool and deck? Would an aluminum pool by itself rid the problems of corrosion? A pool installer has told me that "super" grounding the pool even if it's steel would greatly reduce this problem but common sense tells me salt will still win this battle. Will a composite material deckboard keep me from constantly having to replace the screws? I'm not familiar with the fastening system that these materials use. Any knowledge and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steel will corrode so will aluminum. Resin will get brittle and often times resin pools have a lot of steel in them. No above ground pool will last forever.

Aluminum "should" be the longest lasting option of the 3. The more expensive resin and steel pools tend to have better corrosion protection coatings and should also last a long time.

As for deck screws you can switch to stainless. The coated deck screws these days are under constant attack from the pressure treating chemicals in the wood and anything you throw at them from the outside. Composite decking still uses plain steel screws and tend to have pressure treated framing underneath. If you go to composite do so for the look not the life of the screw.

As for the salt required for a SWG accelerating corrosion it's probably minimal at best. The chlorine in the pool is more harmful to the steel than the low levels of salt in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.