Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this (yellow stuff)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation What is this (yellow stuff)?

Opened the pool on Saturday. Water is clear and pool is balanced. Only things out of spec is CH which is 440 and chlorine is still high from being shocked. Opened both skinner baskets and found this yellow film on top of the water. Any idea what it is?

IMG_4064.jpg
    Gunite 35X15 rectangle w/15X5 tan ledge (giving it an "L" shape) and 6X2 swim out love seat; white marblelite plaster; depth: 3'6-7'6; 24,750 gallons; SWG (Mineral Springs); Pentair C&C 420 w/ VS 3050 pump; 400K Natural Gas heater; coping: 12" PA Full Range Flagstone; 2 Color Change LED Lights; jump rock; 2' exposed backside wall; 700 square feet exposed aggregate decking

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What isn't this?

Looks like pollen all gooped up and a Wolf spider to boot. One thing I've learned from owning a pool is that the outside world is a dirty place. Is it anywhere else besides your skimmer basket?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What is this yellow stuff?

Nope. Just in the skimmer basket. lol I should have specified, what is the "yellow" stuff.
    Gunite 35X15 rectangle w/15X5 tan ledge (giving it an "L" shape) and 6X2 swim out love seat; white marblelite plaster; depth: 3'6-7'6; 24,750 gallons; SWG (Mineral Springs); Pentair C&C 420 w/ VS 3050 pump; 400K Natural Gas heater; coping: 12" PA Full Range Flagstone; 2 Color Change LED Lights; jump rock; 2' exposed backside wall; 700 square feet exposed aggregate decking

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: What is this (yellow stuff)?

I was guessing/hoping it was pollen and not some crazy algae.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Perform the OCLT Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) tonight to see if you do have algae. I'm hoping it's not either!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like pollen to me too there will be plenty more coming in the next few weeks.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same stuff periodically in my skimmer, mine is pollen
    31x22 FF IG, 16k gallon , 3.5-5.5-4.5, Hayward 425 cartridge, Tristar variable speed, Aqua Rite AQ15 SWG, HPC 4 wireless controller, LED, Texas Grey pebble finish, Taylor K 2006 and 1766,speedstir ,New build in central Texas....

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all!