How to measure temperature for opening (Syracuse, New York)

Mar 27, 2017
Syracuse, New York
I have a temperature gun thing to measure the surface temperature, but I assume that when people say 60 degrees to open the pool it doesn't mean what the laser is measuring on the surface.

This is my first year owning/opening a pool and I want to avoid a rough opening, so I plan on doing it early. However, it's been unseasonable warm here in NY, and the water temperature on the surface is 72. Should I be opening? I'd assume we will probably still have some freezing nights in the next few weeks.

What's more risky - having the water this warm (on the surface), or risking being open for a freeze?

Also, I just very antsy to open the pool and get that ugly cover off.

Any advice!?

-Tom

Hi Tom! :wave: While I don't' have the same temperature challenges you do, I think many people in your area have already pulled the covers off. The sooner you can open the better to beat the algae. I suspect the worse of the cold weather is behind you, although the weathermen have thrown us a curveball from time-to-time. :)

For water temp, I have a regular pool store thermometer in my skimmer so it's about 3-5 inches below the surface. Does a decent job for me.

Surface temp is not a good indication of your pools 'core' temperature.

Pools should be opened before their water temp reaches 60 degrees. I also use an inexpensive pool thermometer that hangs below the surface. Mine is about 10-15" below the surface.

I've opened clear every season with TFPC.

I am outside of Boston and I am opening this Thursday. If temps fall below freezing just run your pump over night to keep the water moving. Water temp needs to be below 32 to freeze. It would take more than a few hours of below freezing temps to ice you up. Many people down south do not cover or close and they get below freezing temps from time to time.

Hi Tom, I am in Liverpool NY and opened it yesterday (Monday) as I get sick of the seeing the ugly green cover all winter long... The water is still cold (below 45-50 I would guess), and though we may have a couple cool nights, it will probably stay above freezing. If we do get a really cold spell, I will just keep the filter running to keep the water moving and prevent any freezing. I always open it early, but, be warned, the neighbors will think you are crazy !!! Hahaha!

Hi Tom, I am in Liverpool NY and opened it yesterday (Monday) as I get sick of the seeing the ugly green cover all winter long... The water is still cold (below 45-50 I would guess), and though we may have a couple cool nights, it will probably stay above freezing. If we do get a really cold spell, I will just keep the filter running to keep the water moving and prevent any freezing. I always open it early, but, be warned, the neighbors will think you are crazy !!! Hahaha!

Oh now that is tempting... Maybe I will do it this weekend....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.