Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping sand filter outside during winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping sand filter outside during winter

I know its a little early to be thinking about this but I was wondering if you could keep a sand filter and pump outside during the winter if I was to build a shelter around it. We kept it in the shed last winter so its kind of like the same thing right? We drained it and used the anitfreeze stuff the pool store sold us. Its just a pain to move with the sand in it. Any suggestions?
    18' Willow round AG 52", 19" Sand filter 1 hp pump, Intex SWG 8110, Bought and install May 08
    New 12'x16' deck built March 09
    Poss thinking about solar panels next!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping sand filter outside during winter

Quote Originally Posted by mastiffs08
    I know its a little early to be thinking about this but I was wondering if you could keep a sand filter and pump outside during the winter if I was to build a shelter around it. We kept it in the shed last winter so its kind of like the same thing right? We drained it and used the anitfreeze stuff the pool store sold us. Its just a pain to move with the sand in it. Any suggestions?
    What I do is move the pump indoors and leave the filter where it is. Drain it (remember where you leave the cap!), use antifreeze, put the valve on Winterize and use plastic sheeting to cover the filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks it will be so much easier to just move the pump instead of the whole thing.
    18' Willow round AG 52", 19" Sand filter 1 hp pump, Intex SWG 8110, Bought and install May 08
    New 12'x16' deck built March 09
    Poss thinking about solar panels next!

4. Back To Top    #4

An easy way to keep track of the plugs and o-rings you remove from the system for winterizing is to put them in the pump basket 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Remove the drain caps and leave it outside. You can cover it with a tarp if you want.

It's only sand.
    15,000 gallon unpainted plaster. Sand filter. Polaris 380.