Hello from Central FL!

treeme

Apr 8, 2017
Lake Mary FL
Hi all! My brother and I have taken over taking care of our mother's pool since she no longer can. Actually, at first, he was supposed to take care of the pool and me the house, but typical lazy young male, he didn't bother for two months and the pool has been in distress ever since (ha). I'm going to be honest - I hate the pool. I haaate it. I want to fill it with cement. So I'm probably an outlier here :p I have been lurking this forum for a few months, but I'm still an idiot with all of this (which will probably become very apparent!).

Well, how can we help you out?

If you want to turn it around, we can do it with you and we can show you a pool can be easy. What are you thinking after being here a few months and looking around?

Welcome to the forum by the way, glad you decided to go ahead and join in. :goodjob:

Hi Treeme...I've seen a few people here who came in not wanting a pool but had the responsibility handed to them or had a family member who wanted one so they went along. They generally come to love it and end up using it more than anyone else! This has probably fallen into your lap because you are the one who CAN do it!

Do you live with the pool? Please list as much information about the pool as you can...size, how it's being chlorinated now...or not...lol...what type of pump, filter etc.

If you've been reading here for a few months then you probably know a lot already. It's just a matter of getting started. Sounds like you might need a SLAM. Do you have a test kit?

Do tell...:)

Thanks guys! The bare things I know are the pool is just under 12,000 gallons and it uses a cartridge filter. I don't know the exact dimensions but it seems like it's on the small side, and it's kidney shaped. I had wanted to do a SLAM but things got wonky so I'm not sure if I can right now. My brother made the mistake of listening to the pool store people (they'd already screwed me once before so I don't listen! lol), who told him to add both muriatic acid and chlorine to the pool to treat the green, but not that he should wait between adding them, so he didn't. I freaked at first over possible chlorine gas but there doesn't seem to be any smell, and I've read that it's a strong odor (?). The pool also now has a foam on it. We had foam once before after adding an algaecide, but it went away after additional shocking. I don't know if the foam now is a reaction from the muriatic acid and chlorine, if the foam is toxic, and if adding chlorine would work again or make it worse? (see, idiot!)

Took a pic of the foamy green grossness (the lighter green, it covers about 1/4 of the pool so not as much as when we did the algaecide, the pool was almost fully covered in foam then):
DSCN1386.jpg

Well, you do have a bit of a mess, but it can be fixed. Perhaps the best thing to do is re-group and focus on a few simple basics here at TFP:
- Before you do anything else, you must have your own (proper) test kit. Pool store testing or guessing will just leave you frustrated and/or broke. The test kit is not a money thing for TFP, it's solely for your water accuracy. I recommend the TF-100 (XL Option) if you don't already have one (or a Taylor K-2006C). That MUST be step #1.
- You, or someone at the home, must be dedicated to performing a SLAM (link below). We use regular bleach avoiding anything that is splashless or contains scents. Just plan, regular bleach to maintain the SLAM.
- Don't add anything else to your water right now except regular bleach. In that condition, perhaps 1 gallon a day until we see proper test kit results.

By starting with those principles, most of your concerns and frustrations will be resolved. But again, it all starts with the right test kit and accurate results so we can help guide you. Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be happy to help.

Treeme....check the percentage of the bleach! Don't get 3%. Look for at least 8.25%. Good Value or other store brands are fine. I use Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid from Walmart on the pool isle. It is in a 128 oz jug and it is 10%. Make sure it is less than three months old. At the top of the jug there will be numbers that look like 17033 for example. That means it was made on the 33rd day of 2017. As Pat said, start putting in a jug a day. Get your test kit ASAP. TFTestkits.net. I have the TF100 XL with speed stir. Keep us posted!

Pretty when it's not green anyway! (LOL) Well I guess my instincts were right then, I already got the Taylor test kit, plus 6 gallons of liquid chlorine (10% strength; and still have 3 pounds of granular shock). I wasn't able to deal with it yesterday, but leaving it running, the foam has mostly dissipated on its own (phew!). I'll start SLAM today.