Full Bury Doughboy with cement deck

Apr 7, 2017
Channahon, IL
New here on TFP. I live in the Chicagoland area and have been researching inground pools. I have had some quotes that are more than the kind of investment I want to make. Our HOA requires any pool to be installed "inground." I am looking into having a doughboy installed that will hopefully cut down on some of the cost. We have a slope in our yard so one side I would like to bury fully and leave the other side about 3 ft exposed and then do a retaining wall to disguise the exposed pool. The entire length of the fully buried long oval side would be a concrete deck. I have seen posts of others with doughboys on slopes and full bury but they are old and was hoping somebody would chime in with an update on how they are holding up. Anything you would suggest or recommend? This will NOT be a diy.
Also, I have read a lot of posts about the expandable liners for adding deep ends but can you just add some depth to the entire pool? Can we just make the entire water depth 5 ft with 54" side walls?
Thanks....I look forward to hearing from you all!

I am not 100% sure of anything with our HOA but we contacted one of the local pool guys who installs Fox ultimate pools and he says he has done jobs in our subdivision and it's all in the wording when we propose the project. He said it is important that I state, " I am installing XYZ pool inground." They will require drawings and specs so I am not trying to pull one over on them or anything. Their inground rule is merely for unobstructed views. I am still in the research phase and obviously will not be able to move forward without approval. I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right direction or if I should go another route.

We have a round pool with the center at about 6 feet deep. There is roughly a 3 foot rim around the pool at regular pool depth and then it slopes down from there. This works great for us because we can do water resistance exercises all the way around the outside edge of the pool and then still have plenty of deeper water. We also have friends who don't like deeper water and the edge around the perimeter really helps. I love our expandable liner and it did not raise our taxes!!!

Well....just got a quote from the pool guy and he wants over 32k for the pool, equipment, excavation, and install. This does not include another 9k for concrete work. This seems ridiculously high to me. Over 41k for a buried doughboy?!?!

Wow! We buried our Doughboy halfway. Including excavation, hauling dirt away, blocks/sand, filter, heater, and all the buried electric to the pad, I think ours was in the ballpark of $11K-$12K.

We went to Great Escape and were given a quote of 17k for a full inground, no concrete, but can't be any deeper because of the straps. We are waiting on another quote, hoping they will be comparable in price to Great Escape but have the option to go deeper. Hate to invest that much and not get what we really want. If anybody has a recommendation of a pool installed that also will pour concrete in the Chicagoland area I would greatly appreciate it. It's frustrating because I don't want to DIY this project but can't find an installer that will just use one of the many online kits available. They all have their own manufacturer they work with and of course, upcharge a ridiculous amount. It shouldn't be this hard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.