Is Stabilized Chlorine and draining the most trouble free?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I'm not trying to flame anyone but after years of dealing with a relatively small 10k gallon pool, I am starting to think that draining and refilling the pool in conjunction with stabilized chlorine might be the least troublefeee of all.

I've tried the trouble free method and have had marginal success but always end up going back to stabilized chlorine pucks for the convenience. The obvious downside is the CYA monster that eventually rears its head.

Fortunately I have a well so I can fill the pool for a few $ worth of electricity. So I'm starting to think I will be $ ahead by opening the pool much later and just draining the majority of the water.

In addition, since I will be draining I might as well wait longer to open.

My question is: If I wait too long and algae starts to grow, can I still charge my DE filter with DE considering I will be using "bad" water to charge it with?

Or is it ok to not add DE until the pool is drained?

If you elect to use tablets/pucks on a routine basis, that's certainly your call. Here at TFP, we simply try to educate pool owners who are not familiar with the side effects of pucks increasing the CYA level over the season. If you believe that exchanging the water based on all the factors you noted above are best for YOU, then by all means press-on. Every pool is different, and owners have different needs/requirements. Hopefully that well water doesn't have too much iron in it like so many others which might be troublesome for green/brown water. In the end though, it's your call how you chose to chlorinate.

As for the DE, are you referring to adding it to a sand filter? I don't see your equipment listed in your signature, so I wasn't sure. If it is a sand filter and you suspect an algae issue, I wouldn't add DE until you pass the SLAM or are very, very close to passing all 3 criteria. Otherwise, you'll just waste the DE as you backwash frequently. If on the other hand you have a DE filter, reply back and we can provide more info. Also keep in mind that for the SLAM you'll need to use regular bleach anyways as the pucks will never generate the required amount of free chlorine to kill the algae. Let us know if you have any other questions.

I'm not sure why my signature with equipment isn't showing up. It should be.

My question regarding DE applied to the advice that you should never operate a DE filter without DE.

In order to charge with DE you have to introduce pool water into the filter grids which concerns me is it has algae in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure why my signature with equipment isn't showing up. It should be.

My question regarding DE applied to the advice that you should never operate a DE filter without DE.

In order to charge with DE you have to introduce pool water into the filter grids which concerns me is it has algae in it.
10,000 gallon
Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump
NC KANSAS44

Ahhh yes, I see. Your sig is also showing now. :goodjob: Well, you are correct about not operating without DE. As for potential algae, if it's there, there's no escape - you'll need to charge like normal and then begin a SLAM like any other DE owner. After each backwash evaluate the need to re-charge to replenish what was lost and continue. Kind of the nature of the game with DE, but not the worse thing. With a new pool fill, I would think that any SLAM would be fairly short-lived unlike pools that were really bad.

Yes, running a SLAM with a DE filter is a PITA but you still have to filter. So even if you recharge the filter with algae in the water, the SLAM is going to kill it all. At the end of the SLAM and when FC has returned to normal, it's probably a good idea to tear down and deep clean the DE filter. Cleaning the filter grids using TSP (trisodium phosphate) and bleach (follow the instructions on the TSP package) will remove any algae that may be "stuck" in the grids. Then you can put it all back together and recharge it with a clean fill.

SLAM + DE filter = a lot of DE use

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.