Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: too much filter pressure?

1. Back To Top    #1

too much filter pressure?

Every opening season I have something needing replacement and during that time that the part comes in (with the inevitable multiple delays) the pool gets a nice dark green. This year is no exception.

So my new pump came in, I installed it and let it run all night. This morning the pump was still running but the tank was only half full and it was not pushing water through the pump. I backwashed, rinsed, emptied the pump basket and now it's running like it should.

SO ... should I be worried about anything with my system? Would it be that the filter got too full and the pump couldn't match the pressure, so the pump just ran half full for a while? Did I damage my brand new pump?

thank you, in advance, for the help with this.
    IG 40k gal pool, plaster, 3 HP Intelliflo VS Pentair pump, Pentair FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 3900 Sport, Waterfalls,
    IG Outdoor 500gal spa, plaster, element filter
    Central Texas, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: too much filter pressure?

I'm sorry I can't advise you on the pump issue but....

For future reference, any time your pump is out of commission, just add your liquid chlorine in to the pool and mix it up manually with a broom or something like that. It should help keep algae at bay in the meantime.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Very unlikely that you damaged the pump. What is the clean pressure? And the pressure when it wasn't pumping? We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.

Maybe it is time to break it down and clean the filter.
    More here,
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    And here,
    Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I run it 10 psi clean, backwash at 20. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. May need to do a thorough check on all the joints and everything for the season

IG 40k gal pool, plaster, 3 HP Intelliflo VS Pentair pump, Pentair FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 3900 Sport, Waterfalls,

5. Back To Top    #5

Is shaving cream still recommended on the joints to look for suction loss?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I am confused that you need shaving cream.....isn't your pump running as it should now?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

It is but when I turn it off I can hear the lines start to fill with air. Sorry, forgot to mention that part. I think I just need to check all the joints for suction loss anyway before the season starts

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

If the pump is off, the leak you hear can be anywhere in the system. Pump running, If you see no air bubbles in the pump lid, I suspect that leak might be on the pressure side......where the shaving cream will do no good.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School