Do I really need to wait a month before using the pool?

jkrupp

Aug 26, 2016
Roseville, CA
Hi, our pool is supposed to be plastered and filled next Wednesday. I am a little confused when reading the thread about new plaster on Pool School - do I really need to wait 3-4 weeks before using the pool?

Thanks!

DSCN0418.jpg

PS I know I am supposed to add details to my signature but I don't have the contract on me right now so I don't know the type of equipment. We'll be using the TFP method though, no heater, and no SWG.

- - - Updated - - -

One more question - I want to purchase a solar "bubble cover" for the pool; can I put that on as soon as the pool is filled, or should I wait until after the first few weeks?

You want to take the advice of the builder for warranty purposes. I've heard some say to wait 28 days as they want the pool to cure and chemicals stabilize. They may not want you swimming and then having to add high levels of CL. My builder said I could get in the pool immediately once it was filled when I remodeled a few years ago. I would suspect if you have to do a lot of brushing and the pool is cloudy, you wouldn't want to until it cleared up. My pool was clear immediately. My PH and TA were all over the place the first week though, so that may be an issue for some as well. I waited 30 days before turning on the SWG because it can cause stains.

Thanks Mac! Hopefully I can catch them sometime this week and speak with them about it. They've been wonderful but we have been overwhelmed with rain this Winter and a (conservatively) 8-week project has turned into 5 months. We've seen a break in weather and I know they've been busy the last few weeks and haven't been around. 28 days from next week would be mid-May :-( I can't complain I suppose, I will have all Summer with the pool.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Pooldv, it's just regular old plaster. I honestly haven't been able to speak with the pool builder in the last few weeks; they just happened to call a few days ago and left a message saying plaster would be next week (it's been ready for plaster since January!). I've been hoping to catch them sometime this week, but thought I'd get a jump start and read up on TFP... sounds like I need to speak with them first though :)

I had my pool built last year and finished in September. They plastered on a Thursday and filled Thursday and Friday. Pool company didn't come out until Monday to do startup and chemicals. My kids were in it for awhile over the weekend and I did too for a bit, but it was cold. Holding back 3 kids from jumping into a brand new pool filled with water isn't as easy as it sounds - haha. Or, me for that matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.