Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new to the above ground pool scene

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new to the above ground pool scene

Well we have had our above ground pool installed now for a few days and the family is enjoying it. Only problem is I had to level the ground and the side of the yard that was low is now filled with dirt that I guess I didn't get compacted very well so that side of the pool's poles have sunk into the dirt a little bit. I think I know that I need to drain it and put some better support under the legs on that side but I wanted to check to see if anyone else had any other ideas before I waste 12000 gallons of water.
    Our pool is 12,481 gallons
    The pump has a cartrige type filter
    It's an AG pool
    Pump is an Intex 633 2500 gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new to the above ground pool scene

Hi and Welcome.

You should never build up a low end for this very reason. You should dig away the high end so you have solid ground to build on. The weight of the water is too much on fill. My guess is you will have to start over to prevent damage to the pool if it sinks too much.

I know it's not what you or maybe even more so the family wants to hear but I wouldn't want to hear that your walls collapsed because the fill dirt gave way too much. KWIM?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I was able to use a hydraulic jack to lift the legs slightly and place a wood pad under them. It hasn't sank since for the last day. I am going to continue to watch it to see what it does.
    Our pool is 12,481 gallons
    The pump has a cartrige type filter
    It's an AG pool
    Pump is an Intex 633 2500 gph

4. Back To Top    #4

You are learning the hard way why you never fill in under a pool, always remove soil to make it level. Especially with dirt/topsoil, it is extremely difficult to compact properly.

The weight of the water is a killer. Water is about 62 pounds per cubic foot. The average 4 foot deep pool gives you about 248 pounds of water pressing down on the bottom for every square foot of pool area. A 54" deep pool as about 272 pounds per square foot. That is like having a pro football player standing on every square foot of pool bottom.

Take your average pool float, the flat inflatable kind. At an average 72" long and 30" wide, that comes out to 15 square feet. Multiply that by 272 pounds of water per square foot in a 54" pool, gives you 4,080 pounds of water, or over 2 tons of water just in the area UNDER that float.

If you have a 12,000 gallon pool, you have over 50 tons of water there (100,200 pounds)
    Michael
    15'x30' AGP - 13.200 gallons
    2Hp 2 speed Pump - 93sf Cartridge Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit - BBB Method