Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Slam Day 9 and 26 gallons of 10% bleach later

1. Back To Top    #1

My Slam Day 9 and 26 gallons of 10% bleach later

Opened to a green swamp which was no surprise considering I had your typical Intex undersized pump last year and that my pool cover ripped and I didn't have a new one in the budget. Replaced all equipment this year with what's in my signature. I don't have a place where I can drain and start from scratch although I did get my CYA down from 90 to a 60 by doing a partial drain at the end of last Summer. CYA was so high because I was being pool stored before I found this site. (Haven't been back since I learned about this site!) I made sure and did a new CYA test and got just below a 60 so I have been counting it as a 60 and keeping my pool 24 FC and bumping it up just a hair when I know I won't be testing every few hours. I had lots of leaves in it and so I kept raking them out and finally got them all. I've been vacuuming and brushing a ton and the pump has been running 24/7. I have been backwashing when my pressure rises into the yellow on the gauge and cleaning the new in the wall skimmer basket out every time I test which is often and also cleaning out the pump skimmer basket daily. I'm not retesting my CYA until I finish the slam and am hoping it will go down more with all of the backwashing I've been doing. Does all of this sound right? Any suggestions? My heart tells me to keep at it and it will get there but my patience is wearing thin with this. I do see progress but wonder how much longer till I can see the bottom. Lol! The first picture is day 1 of the slam two hours after I started it. The second picture is today. The Dr Pepper bottle is tied on to the Shark vacuum so I can see where he is and also in case he gets disconnected when taking him out I can fish him out without getting in to get him. That's happened twice. Lol! Thanks in advance.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u430/GinaLovesSummer/IMG_1728_zpskrdziuzz.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psvqebchpf.jpg
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD. Use The Pool Math App By Trouble Free Pool For Logging.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Slam Day 9 and 26 gallons of 10% bleach later

Does all of this sound right?
    It sure does! And that is HUGE difference from where you started. Hang in there. Maintain, maintain, maintain! And all the other things too. You'll get there and pass all 3 SLAM criteria before you know it. You're doing very well.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Lol! Love the picture. I needed that laugh right about now. Got my vacuum out just now and will be back at it in the morning! Thanks for the encouragement!
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD. Use The Pool Math App By Trouble Free Pool For Logging.

4. Back To Top    #4

Day 20 over here. You gotta long way to go! At least you can see progress. Mine was clear when I started and still clear.

30k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair Tagelus TA 60D sand

5. Back To Top    #5

@aralph - You're on day 20 and you had clear water to start with? Oh that scares me! I hope it doesn't take that long. How often are you brushing and vacuuming?

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm brushing 4-5x day.

30k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair Tagelus TA 60D sand

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow - it's looking a lot better. Loved the Dr. Pepper bottle. Cracked me up, but what a great idea!
    21000 gal IG Pebble Sheen (Blue Surf), Pentair quad DE filter, Sta Rite Intellipro VS pump; Paramount PCC-2000 inground cleaner; Installed May 2016.

8. Back To Top    #8

Day 24 and 58 gallons of bleach later! HA! I still have algae on the bottom. Not sure if it's dead or alive but I figure another few days on SLAMing and I will be good to roll. I've got the vacuum going now and will hop in after that's done and brush her down again. One question. I know my ph won't test right because my FC is so high but can I test my TA and get a correct reading during the SLAM so that I can see where I am with that? Thanks so much! Here's a few pics from just now. I am proud of how far I have come with this because it was a slimy mess when I started.
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psby1kf9ve.jpg
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...psvbtyk0b9.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

can I test my TA and get a correct reading during the SLAM so that I can see where I am with that?
    You can. The color changes may get whacky too. You might need to use 3 drops of R-0007 to help with that.

Your pool looks much better that before. I didn't notice in the pics, do you still have a ladder in the water? If so, remove it and inspect it as best as you can. Often times those ladder steps develop algae "inside" each step. If you haven't checked your CYA in a awhile, I would recommend that as well to ensure you're SLAM FC level is correct still.
    Hang in there Gina! Sunshine is on its way.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the quick reply! Yep, I have the ladder pulled and only put it in to get in and brush her down. I agree about retesting my CYA because I have backwashed a ton. I will have to wait for a sunny day for that one though.

11. Back To Top    #11

I just had some sun poke through the clouds and on Texas Splash's recommendation I retested my CYA and had to fill my tube up completely to the brim in order to get my black dot to disappear. I redid the test again and got the same result. Both times I had my back to the sun and read it at waist level. I tested it twice before the slam and both times got a 60. I know I have been back washing a lot but I never dreamed it was half my pool. Does this sound right? Seems crazy to me to think that I have backwashed 6250 gallons of water. Also if I had to fill it to the brim and above the 30 to get the dot to disappear would rounding it up to 30 be correct?

12. Back To Top    #12

Does this sound right?
    Well Gina, the test doesn't lie - at least within about +/- 15% on the CYA test. ha So if you mixed everything properly for the CYA test and went up and over the 30 mark on the viewing tube and still saw the black dot, you certainly have less than 30 ppm CYA in the water - perhaps much less. Anything below 30 and it's too difficult to determine, but it's low. I would recommend adding at least 20 ppm of stabilizer at this point. Use the Poolmath calculator to help you with the dosage okay. So even if you have 20 CYA remaining, another 20 will give you a new level of 40 which you will want shortly with the sun breaking through. It would also explain the loss of FC and constant replenishing of bleach.

Get a sock soaking with more stabilizer and re-check about 24 hours after it's all dissolved. Then you will have confirmed a new CYA and can adjust your FC shock level.

Good thing you checked.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you so much! You're awesome!

14. Back To Top    #14

I just realized I have some 3" trichlor pucks from when I was being pool stored! Is this what I should put in a sock or should I put it in the chlorine tablet floater that I still have? Thank you so much for all of your help!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Floater.
    FYI using poolmath we can put in your 12,500 gallons and then scroll to the bottom "Effects of adding chemicals" section and see what adding (i'm guessing you have) 8oz trichlor would do: FC+4.4 CYA + 2.7 PH -0.23 Salt +3.6 and that's one tab, so four tabs would be 4x that. If they take a week to dissolve, ignoring the fact they have more surface area at first, you could roughly expect to see those changes (in addition to the normal behavior of your pool) playout over the next week or so.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

If it were me Gina, I'd just hit Wal-Mary and grab a 4lb container of stabilizer (CYA). It takes about 2 lbs to raise your pool size CYA by 20 ppm. Save the tabs for a vacation day or something. During a SLAM, you need to increase CYA right away to preserve the bleach. Find an old white sock and start soaking.

17. Back To Top    #17

Got the sock going! Thanks so much y'all!