Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY cast Scupper Bowls?

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY cast Scupper Bowls?

Anyone ever try to cast your own scupper bowls?

I am thinking of trying it out. I need extra large ones because I plan to have lighted bubblers in them and I want to not lose too much water.

I was looking at using a product like this:

Z Liqui-Crete (add mix)

If you look at the videos, the product looks to pour better than most dry mix products.

I would just have to make a mold.

I am still trying to figure out how I want to make a mold. Wood for a square shape, foam with a hot wire for round shapes, fiberglass over foam, still researching.......

Any ideas? Examples? Web links?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY cast Scupper Bowls?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdough View Post
    Anyone ever try to cast your own scupper bowls?

I am thinking of trying it out. I need extra large ones because I plan to have lighted bubblers in them and I want to not lose too much water.

I was looking at using a product like this:

Z Liqui-Crete (add mix)

If you look at the videos, the product looks to pour better than most dry mix products.

I would just have to make a mold.

I am still trying to figure out how I want to make a mold. Wood for a square shape, foam with a hot wire for round shapes, fiberglass over foam, still researching.......

Any ideas? Examples? Web links?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Neat idea. Try searching on you tube for making a concrete sink. I was watching some on concrete counter tops, and one popped up that showed a guy casting a custom sink. I'd think this would be somewhat similar. IIRC, they used some high density foam, and cut/shaped it. It was very interesting, and not out of the realm of DIY.

Definitely share some pictures of whatever you do.
    2017 Build, 12.5K gal, pebbletec blue smurf, EcoStar VS pump (pool/spa), 2hp TriStar pump (water features), SwimClear 425 multi-cartridge filter, Hayward 400K heater, Turbocell-15 SWG, Pro-Logic Automation, LED lighting, Hayward suction side cleaner (model TBD), TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: DIY cast Scupper Bowls?

I have looked at a bunch of those videos. That is very similar to what I am thinking. Just looking for input from everyone here.

If I am the first one, I will definitely post a how to.