Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drained pool and finally got my CYA down. Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drained pool and finally got my CYA down. Now what?

I'm new to this so I definitely don't want to add anything to the pool without first getting yalls advice! Cya was at 80 but I drained have the pool and got it down to about 45.

FC 1
    CC 1
    PH 7.6
    TA 160
    CYA 45

So what should I do next?

Mikayla Duncan, Oklahoma 6,000 gallon 18ft Coleman metal frame pool. Intex sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drained pool and finally got my CYA down. Now what?

Your new numbers are looking better, but the elevated CC would indicate your pool has some excess organics struggling to be oxidized. Your FC is also quite low. For now, consider your CYA as "50". Elevate your FC to about "8" for now. Keep the FC at 8 for about a day or two and re-test the CC each day. If the CC remains above 0.5, then you might consider doing an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure there is no algae trying to form.

Simply elevating the FC to 8 might do the trick though. Let's ensure your pool is algae-free and can remove those excess CCs first, then we can help you address lowering the TA a little if needed (later). Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay the pool calc says to add 87oz of bleach to achieve a FC of 8. I have some liquid chlorine on hand. Would it be okay to add that instead of bleach?

Mikayla Duncan, Oklahoma 6,000 gallon 18ft Coleman metal frame pool. Intex sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure. Liquid chlorine, laundry bleach, and liquid pool shock are all the same thing. Use what you have for now, and then later shop for whichever is the better value. I typically use regular (plain) bleach from the local grocery store or Wal-Mart (Great Value). Just make sure it's "plain/regular". No scented or splashless products.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay so I added the chlorine and just went to test the FC and when I added the dippers in the water didn't turn pink. What does that mean?

6. Back To Top    #6

In our earlier posts I guess we never confirmed what you test the water with. What are you using? By dippers I hope you don't mean test strips. Ideally you want to test your water with a Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am using a Taylor k 2006 test kit. They refer to the powder with the stick as a "dipper".

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok,

If you did that it means you have no Free Chlorine in the pool. Either you have something using it up, or its really, really old Chlorine/Bleach.

What does the water look like?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

The water is seafoam green. I don't know what could possibly be eating it up. The past week it has been 65-70 degrees. And I just added a brand new bottle of liquid chlorine that I bought from Walmart a week ago. Ugh this pool is going to be the bane of my existence!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I think I found the answer. You are not SLAMming your pool yet. You say it's seafoam green. That means algae. The solution for algae is bleach. The process is called SLAM and it's covered here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir