New Pump Considerations for 18x52 Round AG Pool

Sep 8, 2014
Augusta, GA
I'm going to be replacing my current pump (see signature below for my complete setup) in hopes of getting better filtration for my 18x52 above ground pool. Due to it only having one skimmer and one return I feel as if I need to increase my hp as my return doesn't move my water (in my uninformed opinion) as much as I think it should. Although my pump is currently working, it is noisy and has a small leak where the housing of the impeller is located. Also according to my pressure gauge (purchased last year) I'm only running 3-5 psi when filtering. That seems low to me but its been consistent since getting this pool. Since I'm not the original owner of this pool I have no knowledge as to its age or if it has the proper hp as compared to the sand filter rating of 45 gpm flow rate. Lastly, is there some type of standard as to the motor mounting hardware that I will need to know when making my selection so that it will fit my current bolt pattern on the base?

While I do want to be frugal with my purchase I don't want to let the cost be the sole factor in making my decision. I welcome your thoughts and comments as I know there are a lot of choices out there.

Fill me with your knowledge Pool Masters !

David

When you say better filtration what is it you are looking for? Your current setup by what you are saying should be moving plenty of water. For a 5 psi pressure in your filter you should be moving around 50gpm with that pump. That's plenty of flow. The pump you have is plenty big enough if not almost too big.
A good rule of thumb to check circulation is if you put a pool float in the pool is should slowly go in circles around the pool. If you are going to stick with a single speed pump I would consider going to a 3/4hp pump. If it were me I would put in a 2-speed pump just to save on the electric bill.

I will have to try the pool float test as I've only used a ping pong ball in the past, however best that I can recall it seemed to take a couple of minutes to go around that 18' diameter which seemed slow to me. I'm assuming the 2-speed pump has several factors that makes it a good choice besides the lower energy cost are there others?

BTW- thanks for your input.

I'd say your water is moving around pretty well. As for the two speed motor the main benefit is really the electrical savings when running on low. It will also be much quieter when running on low. For you the high speed would mostly be for when you brush and vacuum the pool. I'm not trying to push any one type of pump or another but this is an example of a 2-speed I think you would be happy with. Here is a 3/4hp single speed pump that would also be plenty of pump for your pool. Both those pumps are 100+ dollars more than if you bought the direct replacement pump for what you have. What you have works. If you value the electrical savings or having the pump run quieter a 2-speed might be worth your investment. If don't want to have to make any changes to mounting wiring or plumbing getting the same pump you already have will work for you too.

Thanks that ended up taking me pretty much all summer last year. Some how it seemed like things just kept getting bigger and bigger. Getting really itchy to pull the cover off and start heating the pool but I've got at least another 6 weeks of cold weather to get thru.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.